Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the expected differences dropping from the 17" that came with 2009 Foz X Premium package to a 16"?

This is for winter tire purposes. I am obviously aware of the differences between all-season/summer and snow tires. Just curious if there are any other handling differences to expect, or if I'd have to get a new alignment or anything.

Mainly - I refuse to cough up double money for alloys, and TireRack isn't offering 17" steelies. Hence, I'm building out a 16" package at TireRack.

16" Steelies w/Michelin X-Ice2 and TPMS is $768. Necessary and acceptable wallet pain.

17" 'cheap' alloys and cheaper Firestone Winterforce and TPMS and you're at $944. Ouch.

With 17" Michelin X-Ice2s you hit $1148. Extra ouch.

Last decision is the silly TPMS one. Town Fair Tire has said they'll reprogram TPMS for free each seasonal swap (yes - each season) if you buy winter package through them, but even with shipping TR is still cheaper. Any experiences with them with Subies? I've taken non-AWD vehicles there with reasonable results.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5i Automatic
161 Posts
To reduce the $ pain, you can forgo the TPMS sensors for the winter wheels. Just place black electrical tape over the TPMS light on dash. Much cheaper this way.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
I do this every year going from 17's in the summer to 16's for the winter. Its not really a massive change and since its winter you won't be driving as "sporty" anyway. I agree, there's no benefit running 17's in the winter. If anything 16's are better as the larger sidewall will protect those wheels from bumps/ice/potholes.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Yea, no reason to force yourself up to a 17 for the winter package. It's not like you're doing spirited driving on snow tires anyway.

And I agree about the TPMS. Unless you're really hellbent on having TPMS during the winter, I'd say ignore the light for the 3 months you have the wheels on. It's not worth the additional cost for the sensors and TPMS ECU reprogram seasonally.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT SportShift
1,233 Posts
Yea, no reason to force yourself up to a 17 for the winter package. It's not like you're doing spirited driving on snow tires anyway.
Our local Subaru chapter do like to meet up in an empty parking lot and slide around when there is enough snow. :icon_cool:

I was driving my brother's black 06 WRX wagon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts