Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been putting off a pro tune on the o4 4eat stage 2.5 too long and mileage is suffering(16-18 bopping in NY traffic).

What can they do and what can I hope for? It'll be at Metric sube and they will do the seat of the pants tune on the 4eat.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Depends on the tuner. If you are used to the OTS map, your custom tune could be a bit leaner and have a better timing curve for your specific car -- the car will feel lighter and crisper, boost will come in harder and sooner and throttle response may be better. You can always ask the tuner to tweak it afterwards.

I pull off 24.* MPG on long trips.

Stan

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
944 Posts
Ok, I've been putting off a pro tune on the o4 4eat stage 2.5 too long and mileage is suffering(16-18 bopping in NY traffic).

What can they do and what can I hope for? It'll be at Metric sube and they will do the seat of the pants tune on the 4eat.
What are your mods?

Dave Brown at Metric is a good guy..

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, yes, I thought I omitted something. Up pipe, Stromung catted down shorty, stock otherwise, And a Cobb old style AP set at stage 3-all night and day differences already.

And a drop in K&N which has to make some small difference.

Another guy there is trying desperately to get me into the new AP, $00 trade in etc. I think it makes their job easier but I may be tuning this one, new tires and then selling as I've sold some property and may snob appeal my ride, something more exotic.

And Dave is super.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Ah, yes, I thought I omitted something. Up pipe, Stromung catted down shorty, stock otherwise, And a Cobb old style AP set at stage 3-all night and day differences already.

And a drop in K&N which has to make some small difference.

Another guy there is trying desperately to get me into the new AP, $00 trade in etc. I think it makes their job easier but I may be tuning this one, new tires and then selling as I've sold some property and may snob appeal my ride, something more exotic.

And Dave is super.
Why are you on a stage 3 map? Should be on a stage 2 map.

A protune will make a pretty big difference over an OTS map.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Only thing missing for stage 3 is the cat back, no? And they're highly overrated for the $$ & the social disturbance.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Depends on the wording, but generally it'll mean an upgraded turbo. My tuner called my setup "Stage 2.5" in the map notes, even though I have a VF43.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Stage 1=Tune/boost increase
Stage 2=Downpie/tune
Stage 2.5=Above+bigger turbo/intercooler
Stage 3=Above+larger injectors
Stage 4=Rotated/FMIC

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts

I'm not familiar with the tuner, but I don't like the "seat of the pants" comment. Considering the tools we have today, I sure hope datalogging and a wideband are involved...

I'm not saying you can't "feel" alot, as I rely on my instincts and feel when tuning, but I use my "soft" tools to qualify the datastream...

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
i can vouch for the tuner, a wideband and datalogging are def involved. depending on how deep his pockets are, it would be taken to a dyno also.

i doubt that though, and my bet is its going to be a road tune w/ a innovative wb.

btw youll get a little better gas mileage, but dont expect miracles for local around town driving. your best weapon is your right foot, and how little you use it...

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, as in medicine, lots of terminology interpretation for the various stages.

The tuner stated that a pro tune is $400 for a manual but only $150 for an 4eat-no dyno tuning available on an auto?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts