Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
01 Forester S
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be painting my 16'' stock rims that are beat to [email protected]!! in a short bit when the weather gets a bit nicer. I've read TONS of helpful hints from forum ppl (sea-scooby, etc...) but I can't find one piece of info.

What have ppl done with attached tire weights? Do you just paint over them? I'm thinking this would leave some of the rim untouched and open to salt and dirt, which might cause premature chipping, etc.

I just put on a new set of nokian wg2's and I want my crappy rims to come up to the standard of these killer tires. I don't want to take off the weights and get the tires rebalanced (low on cash at the moment).

Also, I have some blackening going on. Most of the rims that I have seen repainted don't look as half as bad as mine. Is even worth doing? Should I do anything special? Here is what I plan to do:

clean wheels (get rid of brake dust, etc.)
sand with 400 wet/dry
clean wheels again
tape off tires
spray several very light coats of primer on wheels
sand primer gently
spray several light coats of color (haven't decided color yet)
spray several coats of clear

I've attached a few pics so you can see. Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
That looks like a good list of steps, they should turn out well. take your time and apply thin coats.

as for the weights it's a shame to paint after the tires are installed.. you're going to have to paint over them and not worry about it too much.

next time do the painting without the tires, and when they get mounted and balanced get the stickon weights inside..

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
^^ yes the stick on weights is the way to go.
Tire rack uses them, and luckily for me one of the local tuner shop does too.

·
Registered
01 Forester S
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will ask next time about the stick on weights. I didn't think to ask, I was sooo excited about the new nokians! :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
1998 Forester
95 Posts
hi there, i painted my rims with the tyres on before i had new tyres fitted.
this left a small unpainted gap where the weights were removed.
taped off new tyres and touched up the rims, came up sweet :banana:
cheers AJ.

·
Registered
01 Forester S
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope mine look half that good! I know its all in the prep work... :monkey_dance:

·
Registered
1998 Forester
95 Posts
i only did what you have planned above so it's not a big job, just needs a bit of patience :biggrin:
what colour is your forester? two tone?

·
Registered
94 Posts
sweet thread, I was just looking at my rims too and noticed they could use some paint... and some grinding... and lots of sanding! I have a two tone silver fozzie and i think i want to match with a two tone silver rim.

·
Registered
03 WRX
525 Posts
1. paint over the weights if they are your beater rims... if they get rebalanced later then touch up that spot...
2. mark teh tire, by putting the weight size and spot where it was removed and put it back after...

if you are painting with the tires still on do this...

12638_187615112920_504602920_3068794_7536291_n (Large).jpg

IMG_0008 (Large).jpg

IMG_0027 (Large).JPG

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
After reading what other have said I will give you my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I would not paint the rims with the weights on. 1. From your original post you will be taking a lot of time and energy to prep and sand the rims, which they look like they need especially at the lip (curb rash). That's good. 2. Tires do wear out and should be balanced IMO every so often. Whenever I purchase new tires I always get the full package, balancing, rotation and road hazard. I always do a static balance, think that's what it is called, where there are no weights on the outside of the rim. I have been doing this for 4 vehicles now......so 16 years approx. No issues on wear or performance. I rotate my tires every 5K. This should be especially helpful with the FOZ and the AWD drive system and getting the most of your tire investment. It has been spoken about a lot here (tire circumference). 3. Not too sure about this but when you balance the tires the weight will move to another location........and they will, you will be touching up the rim. There may be damage happening to the paint job you did that you cannot see (corrosion). This I am not sure about but I always take the approach "A job worth doing is always worth doing right". Personally I hate doing things twice. This is just my take on it so what ever you decide I hope they turn out to your liking.

As far as the painting goes you can do that with the tires mounted. Do a gooooood mask job and place a crappy towel or sheet inside the rim, leaving about 2-3" of space from the face of the rim so that the paint doesn't fog inside the rim and part of the inside wall of the tire.

·
Registered
01 Forester S
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i only did what you have planned above so it's not a big job, just needs a bit of patience :biggrin:
what colour is your forester? two tone?
No, my foz is the single tone silver. I'm thinking about staying with the silver/chrome of the original rims...not a huge fan of a black on silver. We'll see when I'm standing in the paint isle! :banana:

·
Registered
01 Forester S
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tires do wear out and should be balanced IMO every so often. Whenever I purchase new tires I always get the full package, balancing, rotation and road hazard.
I just got new tires about two weeks ago. I don't have any nice warm place to do the sanding/painting so I'll have to wait until it warms up here (March at the earliest!). I knew they had to painted soon, but I couldn't wait on the tires. My last pair were WAAAAAY past due. Running on 2/32 is not a good idea in Wisconsin...

The place where I bought my new tires gives free rotation for the life of the tire, which is pretty much standard these days.

place a crappy towel or sheet inside the rim, leaving about 2-3" of space from the face of the rim so that the paint doesn't fog inside the rim and part of the inside wall of the tire.
Thanks for the tip. That is the first time I've read that suggestion. Makes perfect sense!

If I do get some paint/clear coat on the tires, what would be safe to use to get it off? Or, do I just leave it on and let it flake off?

·
Registered
1998 Forester
95 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
If I do get some paint/clear coat on the tires, what would be safe to use to get it off? Or, do I just leave it on and let it flake off?
Just washing the tires with a scrub brush should do the trick after several washes and some time. I wouldn't use any type of paint remover for fear of damaging the rubber. You could probably use some purple power or simple green cleaner. If you leave that stuff sit it will actually remove paint so be careful with the newly painted rims. A good idea might be to spray some on a rag and use your finger (detailed work) and some elbow grease.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts