Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XT Limited 4EAT
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching this some but found it very difficult. What is the one(or more) things you would to do your engine before modding anything? I've seen in places doing a compression and leak down test to check the health of the engine, is there anything else? I plan to mod at some point (not huge power in my future, just a real fun DD) but want to make sure the care is good and healthy first.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5MT
230 Posts
I tried searching this some but found it very difficult. What is the one(or more) things you would to do your engine before modding anything? I've seen in places doing a compression and leak down test to check the health of the engine, is there anything else? I plan to mod at some point (not huge power in my future, just a real fun DD) but want to make sure the care is good and healthy first.

Suggestions?
I'd have another car ready....Seriously.
You never know what can happen (snapped bolt, vacuum leak, electrical or fueling issue)...My car was out of commission for about a month.

I made sure all maintenance was up to date: timing belt, water pump, thermostat, belts then moved on to new spark plugs, new air filter, I also have all fluids changed (coolant, tranny, differentials) just to be on the safe side. You might want a new front O2 sensor if yours has high miles (these sometimes help with idling issues).

I also cleaned the MAF (shot it with MAF cleaner).

In my case, I didn't have the car history so I went all out, even the cabin air filter.

P

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts

Suggestions?
Make sure all the maintenance is up-to-date. Depending on mileage. You can have a compression test done when you change your spark plugs. Does your car use any oil?

·
Registered
2010 XT Limited 4EAT
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure all the maintenance is up-to-date. Depending on mileage. You can have a compression test done when you change your spark plugs. Does your car use any oil?
Car is a '10 with one owner before, no accidents, ~46K on clock and does not consume oil.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Check the tranny fluid, make sure it doesn't smell burnt. Get a Blackstone Used oil analysis kit from Blackstone and change your oil. Send in for analysis. Check your coolant for signs of cross contamination and level. If you're really concerned, change your sprak plugs and you can get the compression test done at the same time (labor won;t be cheap for this).

At your mileage you shouldn't need to worry about the belts or O2. What level of mods are we talking here?

·
Registered
2010 XT Limited 4EAT
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the tranny fluid, make sure it doesn't smell burnt. Get a Blackstone Used oil analysis kit from Blackstone and change your oil. Send in for analysis. Check your coolant for signs of cross contamination and level. If you're really concerned, change your sprak plugs and you can get the compression test done at the same time (labor won;t be cheap for this).

At your mileage you shouldn't need to worry about the belts or O2. What level of mods are we talking here?
Nearish future would be a catted DP (already have SPT CBE) and cobb accessport stage 2 (however from what I've read from others I may still get a pro or e-tune to make sure my car runs well).

Future would hopefully be a VF52 and supporting mods, car will NEVER see track time or be driven super hard.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
My suggestion is, find a tuner you can 100% trust with your car, work with them and listen to their advice. Many will ask on forums, get multiple advices from multiple people and try to average them -- that's not how it's supposed to work. Set a goal, set a budget, and find the best way to achieve your goal within this budget. Realistically, things may end up costing about twice as much as originally planned.

Have alternative transportation readily available.

E-tunes -- I wouldn't do it, but some have no local tuners so it's their only option. My buddy with an '07 STi had a Stage 1 e-tune from one of the well-known tuners. Ended up with cracked ringlands and it cost him 6K for new shortblock (he did the work himself). Could blame it on the tune, could blame it on Subaru, but I'm of the opinion that a tuner needs to be local, needs to see/hear/smell the car they are tuning.

Stan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts