·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo manual
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this months 60 quid to spend, now do I buy:
a fault/code reader
a hid kit for my fog/spot lights
or a blue batt clip, oil cap and brake fluid cap.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
I got this months 60 quid to spend, now do I buy:
a fault/code reader
a hid kit for my fog/spot lights
or a blue batt clip, oil cap and brake fluid cap.
Never used front fogs in my life so can't see the point of HID'ing them. Always get irritated by losers who drive around with them on all the time, as does everyone else. Don't be tempted to become one of those people who think using sidelights and fogs makes them look like rally car drivers !! Everyone else will think you're a c*ck.

Having a fault code reader is just going to get you worried when you see codes that you haven't known about !!

I'd go blue bits - tis safer. Seen some nice blue alloy bits around actually.

EDIT: in fact I'm not even sure retrofitting HIDs is legal due to type-approval regs. Sure I read that somewhere, but it may just have been about headlights.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
I use my fogs as daytime running lights (modified the switch to allow me to use them without having to have the headlamps on), and since I retrofitted my headlamps with HID, I did the fogs as well. From the looks of your avatar, it looks like you run them as DRL's as well. So I would say HID's.

If you do go with the HID, I would recommend staying within the 4500-5000k color temperature (the normal color temp of stock HID's). This will give the nice crisp appearance of stock HID's. Anything higher than 6000k will give you a VERY blue/purple output and looks very rice-ish IMO, but each to their own.

I did the retrofit with a normal H3 HID retrofit kit (with the longer bulb versus the stock halogen bulb). You can do this, as I've been running it for over a year perfectly fine (and doesn't affect the beam output either). You could also go with the H3 HID bulbs that are shortened to match the same length as the normal halogen bulbs as well (I think they're called H3C's or something).

But that's my vote, HID's. (easy install too) Have some HID info on my stuff here........

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/hid-retrofit-tips-pics-60908/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts