Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After lots of shopping around I'm down to 3 tires.
1. Hankook Ipike
2. Hankook W300
3. Yokohama IG20

I'm kind of leaning toward the W300s just because I do a lot of high way driving and there the only ones H rated. But I'm a little afraid they won't be vary good in the snow up the mountains when I go snow shoeing. The Ipikes are $100 cheaper then the other 2. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
The Ipikes are more agressive than the W300's. The W300's are an excellent dry road tire (doesn't feel like you're driving on winters) but they're still decent in the snow. Not excellent but they're never left me stranded and I've gone through some deep stuff and some icy freezing rain roads. Most people I know who ran Yok winters hated them.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I run iPikes on both my Foresters and they are decent around town but incredible in the snow. If I didn't go up to the mountains a lot I'd go with the W300s.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't go up the mountains vary much. Just Rocky Mountain Nat. Park or Cameron pass to go snow shoeing. Lately I'm temping in boulder or denver so I have an hour drive back and forth every day. I'm a little afraid I will burn off a tire with out an H rating.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
860 Posts
I'm very pleased with the iPikes; I got them last season. My previous snows were Blizzak WS-50s (Q-rated) and I got 5 seasons out of them (25k miles). The iPikes work just as well in the snow as the Blizzaks did, but they handle a little better in the dry.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had Yokohama's IceGuards on my car for 6 yrs and I loved them. I just bought IG20s to replace them, they are quieter than the old iceguards but there hasn't been any snow to try them in yet. They cam recommended by two garages, unless of course I wanted to move up to the Nokian which were 200 per tire hehe

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had Yokohama's IceGuards on my car for 6 yrs and I loved them. I just bought IG20s to replace them, they are quieter than the old iceguards but there hasn't been any snow to try them in yet. They cam recommended by two garages, unless of course I wanted to move up to the Nokian which were 200 per tire hehe
The Local Discount tire is really pushing the IG20s really hard. But it feels more like its because there $100 more then the Ipikes. The Other shop i went to talked up the W300s.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm very pleased with the iPikes; I got them last season. My previous snows were Blizzak WS-50s (Q-rated) and I got 5 seasons out of them (25k miles). The iPikes work just as well in the snow as the Blizzaks did, but they handle a little better in the dry.
I'm starting to think i don't want to totally give up dry handling for snow. Since I'm doing probably 95% dry road driving in the winter.

·
Registered
98 Fozzie
170 Posts
I'm starting to think i don't want to totally give up dry handling for snow. Since I'm doing probably 95% dry road driving in the winter.
That is the quote that will choose your tire selection. If price IS a concern for you I would simply put on some winterforce tires (non studded of course) and call it a day. I've had great experience with I-Pikes, though I haven't run them unstudded, btu this season am running winterforce and yanking the studs cause we know that we end up driving in mostly sunny day, dry road conditions here in CO.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
for a good dry road tire that can handle moderate snow (up to 6" or so) look at the IceBear's too. We have them on our Tribeca and LOVE them. Great performance and really good snow performance.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
we love them. I've run the Winterforces (great tire for the $ and great in the deep stuff), Wintersport M3's (best all around snow tire I've ever driven), WS-50's (good all-around snow tire-not the greatest).

This year I'll be on LM-22's for the Foz, and the IceBears for the 'beca.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we love them. I've run the Winterforces (great tire for the $ and great in the deep stuff), Wintersport M3's (best all around snow tire I've ever driven), WS-50's (good all-around snow tire-not the greatest).

This year I'll be on LM-22's for the Foz, and the IceBears for the 'beca.
Cool thanx Right now the IceBears are the tire I'm going with. Reading tire reviews is kind of funny. Every other one is i hate the tire worst thing i have ever tried. And the vary next one is it's the best tire ever. I think allot of people really over drive winter tires.
I was really afraid the W300s wouldn't be aggressive enough but they will be 100 times better then the stock tires i have now. All the guys i know with WRXs around here run the most aggressive full studed tire they can find. Then they drive around 90% of the time on dry roads. It just seems stupid to me.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the quote that will choose your tire selection. If price IS a concern for you I would simply put on some winterforce tires (non studded of course) and call it a day. I've had great experience with I-Pikes, though I haven't run them unstudded, btu this season am running winterforce and yanking the studs cause we know that we end up driving in mostly sunny day, dry road conditions here in CO.
So true. I could drive in snow allot more if i went looking for it. The County plow's my street so i don't have to wary about getting in and out when it does snow. When i first started looking i was all over the winterforces and the Ipikes. After driving trucks all the time before my forester i wanted something really aggressive. But after i looked at prices i don't want to throw $400 or $500 away on a tire that will get trashed in a season or 2 with all the high speed highway driving i do.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
103 Posts
If you are based in CO, then you ought to get a set of good winter tires. My experience in the Dakotas is that your county may pough your street well, but the same may not be true for the rest of your journey to and from work. I live in the Cincinnati area, and have been using Nokian WRs on my Forester. After 23K miles, the tread depth indicator tells me I have 6-8/32nd of tread left. They are H-rated to 50K miles. That might be another thought, if you don't want the hassel of switching out tires. Its hard on the wheels after all.

This past winter, I found myself faced with the option of turning around, or going up a 30-40 degree incline/hill. It was in the middle of a blizzard. I decided to go up. The people stopped at the bottom probably thought I was crazy, but it was too dark to see the looks on their faces as I climbed, and did not spin a wheel.

In this city, I take comfort with the Nokian WRs. In the Dakotas, I used Blizzaks. Too much ice out there to fool around. Bottom line - make a decision, since you can't really go wrong with any. The safety of AWD + sensible driving habits + snow tires = better than all without snow tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts