Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite sure what strut and spring combo to go with for my 08 fsxt. I want it to sit a tad bit lower than a stock impreza when all is said and done. I have been looking into impreza specific tokico d-specs and kyb struts with either rce springs or sti wagon pinks. Any recommendations would be ver helpful!

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
04 STI take-offs sound like what you're looking for. I'm currently using COBB springs and they are LOW. Too low for most, but perfect for me.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
Since you mention wanting the car to sit at specific height, is the height of this car something you are going for? You mentioned using 18s in your other thread -- this car is on 18s also.

Stan

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you mention wanting the car to sit at specific height, is the height of this car something you are going for? You mentioned using 18s in your other thread -- this car is on 18s also.

Stan
Just a tid lower since I will be running a 40 series tire, but other than that it looks fantastic! I dont wanna be slammed cuz I plan on driving this vehicle all year round.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
IMO that car's height is perfect for a lowered FXT. He is on WRX TR struts and SPT Wagon pinks which are virtually same as OEM STi springs (224 front / 194 rear in rates), but the rear springs are a bit higher to account for the extra weight of the wagon's a**. This setup is probably borderline in rates if you want to get away with using OEM WRX struts.

If you wanted to go a bit lower, IMO you'd want to have higher rate springs, which means you'd probably want struts that are better than OEM WRX -- like the d-specs. The red Prodrives will be a tad lower -- maybe similar height in the rear and a bit lower in the front. All Prodrive springs rake the car, which some people think is a bit goofy. RCE blacks will be a bit lower also.

This is on red Prodrives with 1/2" spacers on all 4 corners, 225/50/17 tires.

This was on RCE wagons (lower than blacks?) with 1/2" spacers all around with 245/45/18 tires -- you'll probably like this height but it was too low and stiff IMO.

Stan

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was on RCE wagons (lower than blacks?) with 1/2" spacers all around with 245/45/18 tires -- you'll probably like this height but it was too low and stiff IMO.

Stan
Thats about the height im looking into. with a 40 series i would prolly have the perfect wheel gap.

I saw some pics of beantowns foz lowered with wrx specific struts. I personally think that his ride height with that setup was perfect. I do plan on rockin sways and that will help A LOT but as of right now lets se if we can find me a good deal on struts and springs.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,963 Posts
I'd go 04 STi. I've had several setups and that has been my favorite so far in terms of looks and performance. Not to mention great value.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
40 profile would be pretty rough. I'm a tad lower than beantown and I use 45 profiles. They fit pretty well.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
With that setup I had to slow down for any road imperfection, it drove me nuts. I scraped on speedbumps and tires rubbed on the fender when cornering. It also didn't handle as well as when it was higher, possibly because I never got it sorted out at that height, but I think the geometry was whacked out enough to cause handling weirdness.

Stan

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,758 Posts
I had the STI + JDM Pinks setup. While it was nice and low and offered great handling I hated the ride quality. It was way too bumpy and had my head bouncing off the headrests on all but the smoothest roads.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
For best handling I'd go with the D specs and a spring that doesn't lower much from stock Impreza height.
+1 dspecs are a great strut for the money. Any lower than STI height and you're out of the proper range for the suspension geometry and it will handle worse than if it was higher.

I'm looking into different setups and right now I'm pretty settled on wagon pinks with d-specs.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much would the d-specs and pinks run me? Im just looking for ballpark figures.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kk i was kinda figuring the same price range. whos a good vendor i could rely on?

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
i got my tokicos off of ebay (search d-spec, wrx) with Bing Cash Back. I got it for $470 shipped to my door but now the vendor knows about Bing, so he raised the price to $572 with free shipping. Cash back % is 8%, so final price shipped would be $526.44.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Would it be best to get the sti wagon pinks from chaplins genuine parts or are there other vendors on this site to get them from for cheaper? The least expensive the better! lol

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Jackie of Annapolis Subaru is a vendor here. Try her. With springs, used should work just fine too. Ask for pictures and look for signs of coil bind, rust, chipping paint/powdercoat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts