Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what usually would work for most towing situations. I know, I should measure before getting a hitch but I'm j/w what the avg is. Maybe even list if your vehicle's lowered or not and what hitch?

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
Having towed trailers for the last 35 years, the height of the top of the ball really depends upon what is required to make the trailer sit level. On most full sized trailers the height of mine is between 18 and 20 inches, but my little 4x8 footer is only 15 inches. For my big Dodge Diesel 4x4 I have a B&W adjustible hitch that allows me to set the best height, and my Reese w/weight bars also allows me to adjust the hitch head height. With the Forester since you will not being pulling a tongue heavy trailer (I hope) measure the trailer's needs and purchase according. By the way, the hitch on mine is to have something to tie the kayak to.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
I have a Subaru hitch. I have towed the 4x8 "tall" U-haul trailers with a 3" rise bar from U-haul, which I also use with a popup camper. One of the 2 would work a little better with a 4" rise; I think the U-haul if I remember correctly because of the way the trailer tongue is bent upwards. I also have a 1 1/4 rise bar that works good on a friends open-deck aluminum trailer I borrowed.

I believe I got the 1 1/4 first because my friend already had one for his trailer and Subaru and it sat pretty level. Then, I put the popup on that and figured what size I needed to get it level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts