Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
- -
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy one nice SF5. It's STI and registered on '07. Everything looks new and there's no major modification was made by the previous owner. He was a nice guy.

The real question is, what gearbox can i use? I need to know which model of Subaru's gearbox can be fitted into my soon-to-be SF5.

I need to know the model, the year, the pictures (better). The reason i wanna know is to save my money to change it (maybe in 3-4 months time after owning it).

Totally a newbie and this is my first car i bought with my own money! No experience at all in driving a turbo car. hahaha.

Thanks!

:rock:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Almost any. The limit is your wallet.

·
Registered
- -
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost any. The limit is your wallet.
do you mean any manual gearbox from impreza, legacy and forester can be used? even XT? wow.

i love corners, and i like to go in at high speed w/out using any brakes and just revving it up to get the grip. i go in fast, i go out fast. i'm a circuit freak (on the road) and i'd like to know which gearbox is suitable for that purpose.

is there any gearbox or any combination of stuffs can be used to get the revvy 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear n also, i need to gain a respectable top speed as i'll be travelling and i'd love to go fast sometime.

What is the difference & usage of 5-Speed MT & 6-Speed MT. As stated above, i'd love to get that grip when entering corners and also i need the respectable top speed. here in malaysia, we use KM/h instead of MP/h.

thank you in advance.

* i'd love to keep the inside of the engine stock. clutch plate or anything outside or any minor mod is fine (as i don't have a large salary to repair it!). haha.

:Banane08:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Yep. They all have the same bolt pattern.

We'll ignore, for now, your driving techniques and misconceptions of what "fast" is, and cut right to the meat.

Without tearing open a gearbox and playing "mix-n-match" with different years and different components, you have two real options.

Go 5MT, where you can choose longish-ratios and a relatively low final drive or super quick ratios and short-ratios (like an RA box).

Or, you can go 6MT. The same "longish" and "short" options are available here.

If you don't have a large salary, you should probably stop here. Swapping from an auto to manual isn't for the faint of heart or wallet, ESPECIALLY if you have to buy most of your stuff new (due to lack of wreckers or whatever).

I have absolutely no clue what you mean by "revving it up to get the grip".

You really just need to pick your poison. Spend loads and get a 6MT. Spend a bit less and get a 5MT. OR, don't buy this Forester and wait until one comes along that already has a 5MT. Or if you buy this Forester, just leave it an automatic and learn to drive it fast.

Either way, if you aren't using the brakes, you aren't going fast enough.

·
Registered
- -
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my mistake. what i mean by 'revving it up to get the grip' is, i just love playing with the gear around corners w/out any brakes. cz brakes slow me down.

anyway. thanks alot. theres a chance you'll be asked stupid questions by me in the future. hehe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts