Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2010 2.5X Limited and noticed last night that I have no glove box light! Can this be right, or do I have a bad bulb or something?

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
Whatta ya want for $30k?!?!

No your bulb isn't burned out, you don't have a glovebox bulb. For some reason only known to Mr. Subaru us Forester owners must use a flashlight to see into our gloveboxes.
There are posts here, in other areas that address how owners have installed their own lights.
I just ordered the glovebox bulb, holder, & wiring harness that is listed for the 09-10 forester. Now I just need to download the wiring diagrams, etc., and figure out how it plugs into the cars main wiring harness.

Kind of feel like I'm finishing work that they should have done on the assembly line.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
I have a glove box light retorfit page on scoobymods. It's for my 04 but it was similar on my 99RS and I suspect it's pretty close to the '10 too. I'd post a link but for some reason I can't get to the site right now.

http://www.scoobymods.com/glove-box-light-retrofit-t2071.html?t=2071

Edit by mod 2-2012: They changed the layout at scoobymods and lots of old links don't work any longer. Here's a new version that will get you to Peaty's DIY.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,470 Posts
Here's Peaty's link. (Oops, I see he found it.)

Please come back and tell us how it worked out for you. There are still a lot of fine points about the 2009- ('SH') models that we of the old school haven't fully understood, and this would help round out our knowledge. It would be especially good to get the part number of the light assembly to see if it ends up being exactly the same as the one we used in the earlier models (83081FE000). And even more fundamental than that, please confirm that there are indeed the appropriate holes already punched in the body of the glove box.

If your situation is similar to ours, you won't find a nice, ready-to-use, plug, dangling there for you to connect in to. They just plain did not set up our Foresters for this, and the only reason that the holes are there is that they reused the same glove box they used on the more favored models. You'll have to find a source of always-on power, and Peaty's post should lead you in that direction.

Edit 2-2012: They changed the layout at scoobymods and lots of old links don't work any longer. Here's a new version that will get you to Peaty's DIY.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
No your bulb isn't burned out, you don't have a glovebox bulb. For some reason only known to Mr. Subaru us Forester owners must use a flashlight to see into our gloveboxes.
There are posts here, in other areas that address how owners have installed their own lights.
I just ordered the glovebox bulb, holder, & wiring harness that is listed for the 09-10 forester. Now I just need to download the wiring diagrams, etc., and figure out how it plugs into the cars main wiring harness.

Kind of feel like I'm finishing work that they should have done on the assembly line.
Please keep us in the loop about your success with this project. Sounds good. I'd like to do the same and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Bob

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
Will keep you updated about the GB light install. I'm just as curious as the rest of you about what I'll find once I start this. Will wait for the temp's to get well into the 70's for this I don't like brittle plastic. Probably another month.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Forester Auto 5 speed
1 Posts
Forester 2100 2.5 S

My Forester has no glovebox light either,disappointment,really what are these designers thinking.
I will go to the local hardware store and buy a led battery operated stick on light.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,470 Posts
The weirdest thing is that they used the same box used on other models, complete with the mounting holes for the light.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
Luckily the passenger side map light does a fair job illuminating the GB.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
Add your own glove box LED

When the weather gets warmer (and plastics less brittle), you might consider adding your own. It's a fun mod and you can get generic glove box switches on eBay. If you put the switch where I did, you need to trim the button so it can be completely depressed. LED light assemblies are available at Autolumination and Superbrightleds (and 10 million other sources). They come with internal current limiting resistors for 12v use. The wiring diagram (2009+ models) will show where you can pick up +12v battery. You're looking for a blue wire with red stripe. I would recommend you not use the existing light assembly above the glove box door, since it doesn't seem to point in the right direction. Have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
123 Posts
When the weather gets warmer (and plastics less brittle), you might consider adding your own. It's a fun mod and you can get generic glove box switches on eBay. If you put the switch where I did, you need to trim the button so it can be completely depressed. LED light assemblies are available at Autolumination and Superbrightleds (and 10 million other sources). They come with internal current limiting resistors for 12v use. The wiring diagram (2009+ models) will show where you can pick up +12v battery. You're looking for a blue wire with red stripe. I would recommend you not use the existing light assembly above the glove box door, since it doesn't seem to point in the right direction. Have fun.
for4me I can use a little help with this. I bought the same led and the same exact switch you bought. I found it on ebay. How did you mount the switch? Did you have to take the switch apart? I don't want to break it or did you have to break off the plastic tabs to make it fit in the hole? Also did you solder the wires to the switch or use some kind of connectors. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
Glovebox switch

The little wings on the switch will bend sideways, so you drill a hole and then twist the switch as you insert it. Don't forget to trim the button to sit flush when depressed. Feel behind the dash for any obstructions before you drill the hole. I happened to have a connector since I used to work in the industry. I don't know the connector # but the switch was apparently for GM cars. You could just cut off some plastic around the terminals and then solder some pigtails on. Have fun.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
123 Posts
The little wings on the switch will bend sideways, so you drill a hole and then twist the switch as you insert it. Don't forget to trim the button to sit flush when depressed. Feel behind the dash for any obstructions before you drill the hole. I happened to have a connector since I used to work in the industry. I don't know the connector # but the switch was apparently for GM cars. You could just cut off some plastic around the terminals and then solder some pigtails on. Have fun.
Thanks for the info. I'm a little leary about drilling a big hole so for now I hooked it up without the switch. I can feel plastic tabs behind right where you drilled the hole. How did you deal with that?

Anyway for now I want to see how I like it. I'll know better when it gets dark. I tapped into the footwell lights which is where I had the other light connected. I checked and it is 12 volts. The difference is that it will only come on when the headlights are on which I'm ok with.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
123 Posts
I went ahead and did it. Success!! I found tiny spade connectors at Pep Boys that I was able to use to connect to the switch. They slid right over the metal tabs. Thanks very much for your help.

The extra wires in the picture are just for my ipod and other gadgets.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
Yeah, I just noticed the

'10 Forester didn't have a glove-box light...

Maybe they think the cool blue interior illumination makes up for it...

But seriously, how hard would a little blue LED bulb been to put in the glove box?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
123 Posts
'10 Forester didn't have a glove-box light...

Maybe they think the cool blue interior illumination makes up for it...

But seriously, how hard would a little blue LED bulb been to put in the glove box?
The 2012 still doesn't have one. It's ridiculous especially when they put a bulb holder in there. But as mentioned earlier that holder is not angled correctly. This works much better.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
123 Posts
for4me, I'm thinking about changing my setup so that it will come on even without the headlights just like yours. I understand that I want the blue wire with the red stripe but where exactly did you tap into? Map lights or maybe somewhere under the dash? Is it easy to get to? Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
Battery connection

The easiest spot is at the body computer to the right of the steering column. You don't even need to pull any panels off. You have to fish the wire thru the dash and into the hole in the glove box. Glad your setup is bright enough for you. Careful, mods to your car can become addictive.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
123 Posts
The easiest spot is at the body computer to the right of the steering column. You don't even need to pull any panels off. You have to fish the wire thru the dash and into the hole in the glove box. Glad your setup is bright enough for you. Careful, mods to your car can become addictive.
Wow that's a lot of wires under there. How do you even tap into that all that? Do you use a vampire tap? Also is the ground wire on the same connector to connect the ground wire of the led? I may leave it the way I have it since I'm probably not too comfortable splicing into all that. I may ask my stereo installer if he wants to do it.

I know what you mean about upgrades. My car is 3 years old and I'm still adding things. Next week I'm adding lighted window switches to the passenger doors. I didn't know there was such a mod but I got the directions from another site and the parts from Subaru. I'm actually having my stereo shop do the work since I'd rather not mess with it.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts