Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what i can do... only done a pipercross filter and WRX rear ARB so far... turbo's at .66bar.

Spoke to Len who says Ecutek not worth it as most improvements will be lost thru the torque converter and gearing in the auto box.

Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Wouldn't have bothered with a PiperX, more restrictive than stock if you're using a drop in.

ECUtek is worthwhile I would have thought if you do some mods for it to take advantage of first (stock turbo is very restrictive!), what mod are you running to get 0.66bar? (forgive me if your a ghetto mod customer, but I must have sent it to about 100 people!)

If you do change turbo though you won't want to go bigger than a TD04 as it will be too laggy, in fact you may find even that stretch (boost from circa 2500 on launch in first), in which case the TF035-6 from 01-> is worthwile and capable of an extra 20bhp over yours.

Simon

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morning Simon.

No mods to get to .66 bar. Just had it checked as it was in at Bell & Colvill and thats what they said.

You have sent me the ghetto mod - thanks - not got round to it yet though!

Would you recommend any other filters? I've been looking for a later tf035 but no joy yet. They sound the best option.

Cheers

·
Registered
120 Posts
Simple inexpensive checks:
Strip out all excess weight , eg clear the boot out
remove any roof bars
have fresh 4 wheel alignment, check tyre pressures
inspect disc for warping, examine wheel bearings for any slop/adjust
change oil correct spec new OE filter, check air filter if soiled try OE or Cosworth.
Use quality fuel ie Shell BP Esso fill to £15.00
better performance now guaranteed......

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Stock boost is 0.55 bar, so not sure how/why they have measured 0.66, but that's not really important.

Filters, K&N or Green, alternatively an STi panle form Subaru, foam has poor flow/area (worse than OE paper) so are a bad idea when using dropins.

Simon

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Just a small point but has the boost control valve (solenoid) been cleaned and check that none of the thin boost tubing is kinked or baked with heat over the years. Replaced the tubes on my T/tb last year and boost shot up !

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers guys,

right so clear out the junk in boot, change filter panel and clean pipes!

Easy and cheap - like it! :woohoo:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts