Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small leak in the pipe that goes to what I think is the heater intake tube. It comes out of the engine block and is secured by one bolt. I can see it dripping when I squeeze the upper radiator (large) hose and then hear it suck in air, which I think is keeping the thermostat from opening.

It is not loose, so I think I will need to replace it, but I dont know what to call the darned thing to look up a replacement part.

Thanks!

Its the metal pipe piece, dripping from where it connects to the engine block.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I have done a bit of searching and I believe it is the "water manifold/ coolant cross over" pipe, as seen here.

The small pipe coming off the right side that goes to the heater intake is leaking, where the main part of this "manifold" attaches to the small pipe that the hose then clamps onto.

I have found a used one but I worry that it is just a gasket between these two parts.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems to be leaking here, where there is a bolt holding the pipe on the water manifold.

Okay it is not dripping from that joint, it may be the O-ring for the coolant-crossover/water-manifold.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it is more likely the gasket/o-ring on the water-manifold/coolant crossover. Are they likely to leak once the engine is cooled? I can see where the coolant is flowing out onto the engine block but not quite sure where its coming from.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,719 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is definitely leaving air into the system somewhere, no matter how much we 'burp' the radiator it never stops bubbling. With the engine off, ill squeeze the rad tubes and I can hear it leaking air and coolant, a small hissing/spitting noise right by that gasket.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so one of the bolts holding the water pipe down was broken so it wasnt being held in place correctly.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,719 Posts
That's bad... & good, as you know why it was leaking! Is the bolt broken where it screws into the case/block? :confused:

I attached the Subaru technical service R/R procedure, just in case you need it. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts