Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car: 04 fxt stock

I have been hunting for a while now to find the factory spark plug part number. I recently replaced my plugs hoping it would help my stumble at idle and just un smooth acceleration between 2,000-3,500rpm. Well it got worse. The parts store sold me :bkr5eix-11. I check on the same parts store website and they suggest this plug: ILFR6B.

Anyone that knows, I could really use some input from a few members as to what is the CORRECT spark plug for stock.

Thanks,
Colton

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, it appears to be the same as the listed part number at advance auto parts. I wonder why they sold me the wrong ones...Hope this wont cause any damage as well.

Thanks again
-Colton

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,462 Posts
From what I see, the spark plug BKR5EIX-11 is for the N/A engine, not the turbo. The BKR5EIX-11 is a hotter plug & it's gapped much wider.

BKR5EIX-11, heat range=5, gap=.044
ILFR6B, heat range=6, gap=.032

NGK heat range: The higher the number, the colder the heat range.

IMO you need to get the correct spark plugs. Advanced Auto Parts made the error, so they should replace the spark plugs. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
From page 11-24 of the '04 Owner's Manual:

Recommended spark plugs

Non-turbo models:
RC10YC4 (Champion)
BKR6E-11 (NGK)
BKR5E-11 (NGK)

Turbo models:
IFLR6B (NGK)
HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, the extra verification is nice. I'm in pretty well with the local advance auto, so they should just replace it no problem, I hope. I also hope this helps with other quirks...but from what I have read probably not.

Thanks,
Colton

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to have advance order it in, nothing in stock. My gas mileage went from 23 to 16 on these plugs!

Thanks for every ones help, hope to have it fixed up tonight!

·
Registered
04 XT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed out the plugs and the car runs a lot better. Heres a pic of the wrong plug which is really short with a much larger gap. Vs the correct plug:
nvm the pic i dont have 15 posts.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,462 Posts
Changed out the plugs and the car runs a lot better. Heres a pic of the wrong plug which is really short with a much larger gap. Vs the correct plug:
nvm the pic i dont have 15 posts.
Glad it worked out for you. I was thinking the wider N/A spark plug gap would be your problem. :smile:

As to posting pictures or links. You're required to have 15 posts to link to a host (to prevent spamming), but you can attach pictures (thumbnails) now. :wink:

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts