Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Touring 5M
447 Posts
hope this help with your research,

Hopefully someone with a 2009+ that is performance driven with provide you information has everything is moslty off road information..

I think with no lift or fender trimming or hub spacer and major camber I think you can probably fit 28"..but unsure if they will rub when they get maxed out on bumps...

I just got 2" strut block..not installed yet and will probably require some camber adjustement I don't think the oem adj can resolve camber after a 2" lift but will see and since I have not done install yet all speculation has I don't even know if the axle cv will connect... but this is what I could find that could help.

The information here are offroad tire's related..and they have lift kit..and some have fender job..I don't think 29" is possible with no modification.

Exemple :

Has "Myfozzie" did with is SH9 he did a 1.4inches strut lift and runs 225x70xR16 (28.4")

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/646760-post12.html

** Note from is post # 15
currently using 16" Rim with positive offset +55 with 225x70xR16(OD 28.4").
with abit of trimming due to the offset.

There will not much room to go thicker rubber,
but we have people putting on 245x70xR16(29.5") here with a lot of rubbing plus huge - offset in order to put it on.

Another option, you can use 225x65xR17(28.5")
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/646859-post15.html

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Ltd
46 Posts
FWIW, Ahmad Z has been running Geolandar AT/S 225/60/r17 for some time now, and is happy with them. That's what I plan to do once I get a few more miles on my stockers. If you're looking more off-road oriented on the stock wheels, seems to be the way to go. Get much larger in diameter, you may get rubbing in the rear, regardless of lift, unless you trim the fenders.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/help-me-choose-better-tires-2009-fxt-66745/

·
Registered
2005 X
242 Posts
i would bet even though i don't have 1 that with the proper offset wheel, that a 255 would fit
Yup, I'm almost positive 255/40's will fit with the proper offset too. I'm currently running 19x8, +35 RPF-1's wrapped with 245/45/19 Sumitomo's. I'm lowered on '08 OEM STi springs right now. The height is nice, but because of the lower offset, the rears rub just a touch on big dips with 3 or more people in the car. The fronts however, are perfect and do not rub at all. I've trimmed the rubber seal in the rear wheel opening, but have not done my alignment or rolled the rear fenders. I'm probably going to change wheels again shortly and will probably go with 19x8.5's with a +45 offset. I've already got a set of 255/40's waiting for those wheels.......if I do end up getting them. Haha

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
FWIW, Ahmad Z has been running Geolandar AT/S 225/60/r17 for some time now, and is happy with them. That's what I plan to do once I get a few more miles on my stockers. If you're looking more off-road oriented on the stock wheels, seems to be the way to go. Get much larger in diameter, you may get rubbing in the rear, regardless of lift, unless you trim the fenders.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/help-me-choose-better-tires-2009-fxt-66745/
Interesting. I am looking for a touring/off-road setup, having traded a Land Rover expedition vehicle for a new Forester Diesel. The stock 55 profile 17" tires, does not provide enough rubber, and I would love to go up to a 60-profile or more. If anybody has done the test –*please share your experience!

Martin

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
963 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Do you need to necessarily go bigger? Why not downgrade the wheel to a 16" wheel and get a good all-terrain tire? (Yokohama makes an all-terrain tire in our 215/60 16" size that has got very good reviews for off-road traction).

Guess my main question is the outcome you are looking to achieve. Are you looking for height or off-road traction?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 speed manual
3 Posts
I am running 235/60/16 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on our 2009 Forester X. They fit great with no rubbing. My wife hit a pothole and blew two stock 17" tires and bent two 17" original rims. I found four 16" rims from a 2003 WRX and mounted the Geolandar A/T-S's on them. We do a lot of driving on dirt roads in north Georgia and needed something with better traction so it all worked out. Getting ready to put the same tires on my 2004 XT

·
Registered
2009 XT-Limited
150 Posts
Hoping to go a little wider on my '09 FXT stock rim.
Will a 225x65xR17 fit fine?
Any help is greatly appreciated;
it seems this thread was more off-road
oriented than performance..

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT
266 Posts
Im running a 245/45/19 = 27.7" OD

It slightly touches the front fender when turning. Im sure with a bit narrower tire, you can run a little taller since it will have more clearance from the perch.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT
266 Posts
Ride is very compliant. Acceleration is a tad bit slower. The wheel setup was approximately 10lbs heavier per wheel. Ride, appearance and handling aspect have all improved but the rest is all downside....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts