Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't say for sure. Crossing the Colorado Rockies about three weeks ago (same trip as the 8 below in Gunnison) I noticed the altimeter was steady at 9480ft even though we were definitely climbing, and had been for several miles.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
I was up near (or maybe over) 10k out there.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
On the way to Kirkwood near Lake Tahoe we hit about 9100ft. The N/A motor didn't like that much. I've been on the highest road in WA State (Sunrise, Mt. Rainer) several times but it less than 6500ft.

In my prior 98 SF we drove to Yellowstone and crossed Bear tooth pass (10,917ft). However I'm sure Colorado has several roads that are much higher.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
I took mine up over the Tioga Pass a few months ago... 9945 feet if I remember right. Its amazing how much power that motor can retain in that thin of air... I'd say it still had a good 80% of its punch. Yay turbo!

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Visiting mommy in Teluray Colorado (elevation 10,300ft) last fall I did 10,640ft Coal Bank Summit, 10,915ft Molas Pass, 11,008ft Red Mountian Pass on Hwy 550 btwn Durango and Ouray and then 11,312ft Monarch Pass Hwy 50 on the way back to Tejas.

Was my XT's first road trip. It handled it very well, to much snow to check out Yankee Boy Basin:frown:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,437 Posts
Where is the guy from India who drove his Chevy Forester on the highest passable road in the world in the Himalayas? It was like 18000 ft...

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Where is the guy from India who drove his Chevy Forester on the highest passable road in the world in the Himalayas? It was like 18000 ft...
Ripped from a post on the VW Vortex....

"Highest Motorable Road
The highest motorable road in the world is in the Khardungla Pass, Kashmir, India. At its highest point it climbs to an altitude of 5,682 m (18,640 ft). It was completed in 1976 by the Border Roads Organization, New Delhi, and has been open to motor vehicles since 1988. The Khardungla pass is one of the three passes on the mountainous Leh to Manali road route. "

You are very smart pleiad7..!

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
wagn said:
Visiting mommy in Teluray Colorado (elevation 10,300ft) last fall I did 10,640ft Coal Bank Summit, 10,915ft Molas Pass, 11,008ft Red Mountian Pass on Hwy 550 btwn Durango and Ouray and then 11,312ft Monarch Pass Hwy 50 on the way back to Tejas.

Was my XT's first road trip. It handled it very well, to much snow to check out Yankee Boy Basin:frown:
Wagn-
Was that Telluride, Colorado (elevation 10,300ft)?

·
Administrator
29,437 Posts
N10S said:
Ripped from a post on the VW Vortex....

"Highest Motorable Road
The highest motorable road in the world is in the Khardungla Pass, Kashmir, India. At its highest point it climbs to an altitude of 5,682 m (18,640 ft). It was completed in 1976 by the Border Roads Organization, New Delhi, and has been open to motor vehicles since 1988. The Khardungla pass is one of the three passes on the mountainous Leh to Manali road route. "

You are very smart pleiad7..!
He even posted some pics on the old forum of his Forester in front of the sign at the mountain pass. Unfortunately they were lost after the first Russian hack attack. :frown:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Top of Pike's Peak. 14,100 ft.

Used to live at 9,500 ft but moved down to a lowly 5,280 ft.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Quicksilver said:
Wagn-
Was that Telluride, Colorado (elevation 10,300ft)?
I was waiting for someone to ask. Telluride is only about 9000ft. Telluray is moms private ranch just north of Mt. Sniffels btwn Ouray and Telluride, thus the Telluray name. It's on the edge of the Uncompahgre national forest at the base of the mountian up ten miles on country road 7 from Ridgway. Right now there is a base of twelve feet of snow at there house.

Oh btw, they winter in Belize on Ambergris Key.

This summer I'll drive to and camp on Yankee Boy Basin at 12,000ft. I'm taking my youngest kids up there for there first fourteener.:Banane01:

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
858 Posts
The Forester has only been to 11,990 ft (Loveland Pass).

My mountain bike has been to 14,110 ft (Pikes Peak).

My road bike has been to 14,264 ft (Mt Evans).

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Administrator
29,437 Posts
^^^ That was the other Indian member. The one who took his Forester over the pass in Kashmir went by the username kiki, IIRC. He posted his pics back in 04, and they disppeared when the forum got hacked in Feb. of 05.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
The Forester has only been to 11,990 ft (Loveland Pass).

Top of Pike's Peak. 14,100 ft.

....yea, but those are PAVED roads.
Hagerman is a real four wheel only pass. :bananapowerslide:

:rolleyes: pepperblues

·
Registered
775 Posts
My son and I made a 6700 mile 14 day Blitz Tour of Atlanta to Seattle and back in 2004. We went over Beartooth Pass at 10,971ft. and I made him get out and run up the road a 100 yards because he had never been that high up before:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
858 Posts
pepperblues said:
....yea, but those are PAVED roads.
Hagerman is a real four wheel only pass. :bananapowerslide:

:rolleyes: pepperblues
Alright smartypants...I drove up to the Grays/Torreys trailhead (11,270 ft) when we did Grays last summer. Very rough road...especially with FSTi springs, STi RSB and 225/50-17 tires. :wink:

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
CraigB exclaimes:
Alright smartypants..
:wink::p hehehehehe :p:wink:

then CraigB laments:
Very rough road...especially with FSTi springs, STi RSB and 225/50-17 tires.
I guess that is something you have to decide w/a Forester,
do you want to go down the road or off the road.

:-D pepperblues

1 - 20 of 175 Posts