Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I went down to Lake Tahoe for a little snow play. On the way down from Seattle we stopped in Bend, Oregon for a few days of snowboarding at Mt. Bachelor. At 5am on 2/20 we left Bend, Oregon and the outdoor temp read 5 degrees:

When we got a few miles out of town the temp. dropped to -5:

As we drive Highway 97 The temperature kept dropping thru central Oregon and hit a low of -14:

Has anyone seen colder? I'm sure negature temps are normal for you Midwesterners. Living in Seattle we rarely get below 20 degrees, even in the mountain passes. The wife and I were getting a bit nervous because the INSIDE of the windows were icing up with the heat on high, and we were in the middle on nowhere on Highway 97. One interesting note was the rest stops in the area have heatlamps above the toilets :)

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,169 Posts
Ouch. If my gauge ever reads that, I'm going home!

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Yikes for me I've seen -8F here in KS. Once when I lived in PA it got to -27F that was not with the wind chill either. The wheel bearing grease in the car I was driving galled and spun all of them. Made a funky noise as I was driving. No matter, after 0 F it's just too cold anyway...

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
It was about -25 the other night at the ice race.
Coldest temp while driving was -19

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
I think it was around -20 to -30 F just after New Year's, when I was on a trip for work that took me from relatively balmy WI on up to central Ontario (New Liskeard). That was overnight - my coldest driving temp was, IIRC, about -15 F.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Probably the look from my wife every time she sees it jacked up in the garage and a wrench in my hand! Seriously, it has not gotten that cold here. I know I have seen teens on the gauge but never took pictures!

·
Registered
398 Posts
temps can get negative?! :think:

I think 20s is as cold as my warm blooded TX xt has seen...:wiggle:

K

·
0 Posts
8 below in Gunnison CO about three weeks ago. Just before the Canadian cold front blew in. We were back in CA by then. Thank Gawd!

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
2 yrs ago traveling from NJ to Rochester, NY, passing thru Hancock, NY (in the Catskills above Liberty/Rosco was the first I saw MY02 go Negative. It read -10F.
Interesting thing, Rochester was 28F when I got there.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
Was in the Town of Barrie, Ontario a short while back (an hour north of Toronto)....it was -28 degree Celsius = -18.4 degree Fahrenheit. :wtfeyes :eek2: :shock: Like Peaty mentioned, that does not include the windchill! I've seen it colder mind you, but that was the coldest since we've had our Forester.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
I' not sure. I week ago it was -34C here but the outside temp display in my 01 Forester can't display past -30C. It just shows ---

However I do remember it being -42C on Sat morning a few years back (before the Forester). Wouldn't you know it the dogs still wanted to go for their walk!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Cubby said:
I' not sure. I week ago it was -34C here but the outside temp display in my 01 Forester can't display past -30C. It just shows ---

However I do remember it being -42C on Sat morning a few years back (before the Forester). Wouldn't you know it the dogs still wanted to go for their walk!
I don't know if peeing outside is a good idea at that temp :wtfeyes

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cubby said:

-42C? with or without windchill?:think:

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
Without! Luckily there was no wind and actually it was nice being outside - when you are dressed for it. Nothing beats a cold, crisp, absolutely clear winter day!

You do get used to it.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On our Return trip it was 6 degrees F when we left South Lake Tahoe, and 90 minutes later we hit Sacramento where it was 71. We had the A/C on high, it felt like it was 110 out.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
Cubby said:

Is your Forester in a garage Cubby or I assume you have a block heater? :wtfeyes Those temps are just aweful! :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
Its in an unheated garage. Its only 4 C warmer than outside temps. If its below -20C I will plug it in. I use a timer so it's only on for 3 hours.

I wimped out last week when it was -30. I parked in heated underground parking at work. Funny it was cheaper than parking above ground! It was 16C in the parkade. That was a 90 F difference from outside!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts