Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 dodge automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a used Forester before the end of March. I have had people tell me that certain years have problems like timing chain, head gasket etc.
I fell in love with the 2014 Forester but can't afford that. So the question is how old do I want to go and still be able to avoid known problems?

Have there been major redesigns I should know about?
For example. I thought i read somewhere that you should try to get a forester that is 2009 or newer because the redesigned it after 2008.
I would like to spend less than 20K
Any advice on what years are better appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
319 Posts
not being biased... but either a 2007 or 2008 XT.
Reason being that was the last year XT came in manual.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:
The MY98-03 models were prone to head gasket failures. The problems didn't completely go away after that, but they became much less common.
All models up to 2010 require a timing belt to be changed every 105,000miles.

The Forester is on its 4th official generation now with the 2014 models.
The generations went as follows:
  • 1998-2000 SF - First generation
  • 2001-2002 SF - First generation (facelift)
  • 2003-2005 SG - Second generation
  • 2006-2008 SG - Second generation (facelift)
  • 2009-2010 SH - Third generation
  • 2011-2013 SH - Third generation (facelift)
  • 2014+ SJ - Fourth generation

·
Registered
2006 dodge automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2009 or 2010

Thanks for the generation chart. That is very helpful!
So if I had a choice Assuming similar miles) between the 2009 and the 2010 it sounds like it would be worth a little more money to buy the 2010 because I would have the timing chain problem.
Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
The 2011 switched to the timing chain. When they made said switch there was a noticed increase in oil consumption compared to previous years. The timing chain itself was not a problem as far as I'm aware. It was a "lifetime" service compared to the 100k belt it replaced, but it is a well known fact that timing chain tensioners can wear out on any car.
Many found that switching from the 0W30 synthetic oil to a 5W30 synthetic remedied the consumption issues.

·
Registered
2006 dodge automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start looking at 2009-2010 first. Since this will be a car for occasional use at our vacation home it could be years before I have to worry about the timing belt repairs. I'll write up a note when I get the search narrowed down a bit.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 5 speeds, I choose!
15 Posts
I had a 2001 and now have a 2003. I like the 2003 much much more. It feels much tighter and gets better MPG.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
If you are looking at the turbo (Forester XT) I would check your manufacture dates on the 09s you're looking at. If it was built between January 2008 and April 2008 then you might be more prone to rod knock. Subaru issued a "stop sale" on these.

If you don't need the extra space of the 09+ years, the SG (03-08) Forester would offer a lot of bang for your buck.

·
Registered
2006 dodge automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nepbug,
Thanks for the warning. I am looking at one (out of State) on the internet now.
Carfax report just says it was titled on 7/22/08 How do you find out when it was manufactured?

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
If any of the "stop sale" affected XT are out there "un-fixed" by now...it would be needle in a haystack to find one.

Carfax supplies the VIN. Look the VIN Up

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Nepbug,
Thanks for the warning. I am looking at one (out of State) on the internet now.
Carfax report just says it was titled on 7/22/08 How do you find out when it was manufactured?
Yours would be just outside the range of manufacturing dates for the stop sale (VIN 9701045 or later, manufacture date 2008/01/08 or later), although a few failures seem to have occurred outside the noted ranges as well. At this point I wouldn't worry about it too much - most of the failures had a tendency to occur at low mileage.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...s-turbo-stop-sale-certain-08-09-models-31757/

·
Registered
2006 dodge automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Narrowed it down to two Forester Premiums in CA. Going to fly out Thursday
and check them out. Both passed independent mechanics check and both are under 40K miles. I feel a Forester in my future!

Now I have to figure out how to drive it back to Vegas with no plates!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium 6MT
82 Posts
Depending on your negotiating skills and local inventory, you can buy a brand new base Forester with manual transmission for under $20,000.

·
Registered
2006 dodge automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am thinking of getting another VIN report besides the Car fax one. Has anyone used
http://www.autovin.de It is cheaper but I don't know whether it is worth using it or not. Some people say that Car Fax misses records occasionally.

·
Registered
2006 dodge automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Success!
Now a proud owner of a 2009 Forester Premium! Dives great, felt comfortable on a 5 hour trip I even took it off road a bit!
Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,713 Posts
Success!
Now a proud owner of a 2009 Forester Premium! Dives great, felt comfortable on a 5 hour trip I even took it off road a bit!
Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Kevin [/IMG]
Great.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,612 Posts
congrats to the OP - nice picture BTW. I was going to put my 2-cents in for the 09-13 range cuz I drove a bunch of older ones with 70+K miles and they all handled and drove like new. I drive a manual trans and the used ones were also manuals. good luck with the new ride - what color is your interior?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts