Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester Turbo
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right so my much loved fozzie is off the road and I'm driving my girlfriend's brother's 1.2 diesel fiesta. I need help.

I drove the car up to Cumbria (from London) for a weekend to see the inlaws. On the way there was a whining noise from the gearbox area. The rear bearings need replacing too but this is a different noise and clearly in the front.

The noise got louder and the car made it to Cumbria but by now was sounding very sick. The noise does not get worse when you swing the car from left to right. The whine increases with road speed, not engine speed. The whine starts at around 10 miles per hour and increases with road speed no matter which gear I am in. By 60 mph+ it is very loud.

A local mechanic took it for spin and reckoned its the gearbox that needs replacing, or the differential. This sounds plausible to me but I wanted your thoughts and has anyone had similar symptoms before?

The car has done almost 150k miles and also needs new rear shocks, new rear bearings as mentioned and a new back box. I'm wondering if its time to put her out to pasture? I'm gonna get her checked over for her MOT and findout if there's any other hinden nasties before I fork out anymore on her.

Thanks for your help...

life sucks when your fozz is sick :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
You need to find service history of the vehicle
What's been done in last 6 months
Any other noises
Does the noise change with road speed is it on the drive or over run or both?
When was the gbox diff oil changed?
1st step drain & replace oil

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,979 Posts
It takes some real hard hard hard abuse to break the diff. You won't know until they get it up in the air. I killed a rear wheel bearing on my old Foz and several people gave differing diagnoses - diff, bearing, whatever. Took it to the stealer and they put it up in the air and 'drove' it with the wheels off the ground. Wheel bearing they said and they were spot on.

The bill was higher at the stealer but not as high as some nitwit replacing the wrong thing and not curing it.:icon_mad:

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
Change the gearbox oil and note colour and if there are any metal shards in it. Some fine metal 'dust' is ok, but the oil should be pale yellow like pee.

I drain mine into a clear glass bowl so i can see whats in it.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,576 Posts
Assuming its a manual, if the noise emanates just infront of the gear stick its probably one or more of the tranfer box bearings gone.

Noise increases/decreases with road speed doesn't change if you press the clutch.

Check out this thread................

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/funny-noise-help-48643/

You need to get it on a lift so you can run the engine and drivetrain to locate the exact location.

·
Registered
1999 Forester Turbo
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks guys as usual you've been very helpful. I checked the level of the gearbox oil and it looked fine but it'll be worth changing and checking properly for metat lumps etc. So the concensus seems to be the transfer box bearings. Any idea how much these would cost to replace?

Also does anyone know a good scooby garage in the north west? car is currently in the south Lake District.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts