Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a 2001 Forester 5 speed with 123000 miles now with 128000 miles. Original HEADGASKETS.. Whats the highest anyone has gotten on original set.. Do they go more in summer or winter months??? Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
My 99 Forester was at about 215K when I detected gas bubbling into reservoir and replaced the HG's. It has never overheated while I've owned it. It leaked a little coolant much earlier, perhaps from 1st day I bought w/ 82K miles.

good luck

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear because I am always waiting for shoe to drop which has not happened. I would be happy WITH 215K Thanks

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,799 Posts
In the perfect world, the head gasket would never need changing. For me, I'll do the preventive measures (regular coolant changes plus Subaru conditioner) & worry about it "if" they fail. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
153000 on mine. They were leaking a little coolant on the ground shortly after I bought it. Put coolant conditioner in it and no more problems. Never overheated (yet), and not using any coolant. It does leak oil, from just about everywhere.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
I have seen 245k but the gaskets have been leaking oil for the last 2 years and 50k but no coolant leaks or over heating

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
In the perfect world, the head gasket would never need changing. For me, I'll do the preventive measures (regular coolant changes plus Subaru conditioner) & worry about it "if" they fail. :wink:
How often is "regular"?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,799 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
My 2001 L that I gave to my daughter in law now has 164K on the original gaskets. I've replaced the coolant a couple of times and made sure to use the Subaru conditioner to head off the leaks.

My 2002 S has 124K on the original gaskets. My dealer said they were leaking at 114K but I added the conditioner and they have not failed yet. No coolant loss, overheating or oil consumption so far.

Guy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts