Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I more and more like the stiff ride of FXT now. What a magical world!

Now, I am thinking to install a coilover system to lower the car.
The original forester has 8.7 inch ground clearance, which i think is more than enough. Most of the compact CUV's GC is much lower than this .
For example, X3 is 8.3 inch, Macan is 7.5 inch, CRV is only 6.7 inch.

So, what do you guys think is a descent GC for forester that you can both have no trouble for occasional light off-road and also have a significant better handling than factory settings.

Anybody has experience?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
I'm currently at 27 inches from ground to fender clearance. I will have to estimate

stock was 32ish and that is my left over clearance.
I think it is decent might raise a half inch i'm pushing the front threads of the bc 9 threads from the bottom and rear slammed. Both fenders are about 27- 1/4 inch different.

Hope that helps.

on bcracing coils no height adjustment just out of the box

Lowered to current height

19inch wheels
57 Extreme 19x9.5 40
30 profile tires
brz tire setup i know its too thin

18 inch stockies
stock tires
current drop im rocking

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
If you do any sort of "light" off roading, you will want to keep the vehicle at stock height. Lowering the car is not going to make the handling "better" per say. You can throw on coil overs, and then put a lift kit on the coil overs, essentially allowing a sporty ride, but at a stock ride height. A couple other forum member did the same thing. They put STi suspension (which lowered the car), then put a 2" lift on the STi suspension to get it back to stock height. Best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
Interesting. Above post. Well I live in NYC/Queens I won't be seeing much offroading.

At most its snow and maybe a small dirt path for a few minutes. Don't go by my example but this suitable for myself 5 inch clearance, brings me back to car/sedan status. I won't be trying any crazy off roading anyways.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Above post. Well I live in NYC/Queens I won't be seeing much offroading.

At most its snow and maybe a small dirt path for a few minutes. Don't go by my example but this suitable for myself 5 inch clearance, brings me back to car/sedan status. I won't be trying any crazy off roading anyways.
Yeah, you case is too extreme to me.
I would try 7.5 inch GC.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
Remember I intended to make my forester less of an suv. I give people props with the off road setups I wish we had more trails and off road areas.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
Take a tape measure and measure your front bumper, curbs around you, and parking space concrete barriers. That should give you a good number to stay at or above, it's annoying bashing those things with your bumper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Forester of the Year 2014
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
What's your definition of "light off-roading?" I would think anything above 6" clearance will suffice for light off road. IMO

I'm dropped on RSR lowering springs. It limited most of that OEM bouncy feel. The handling is much better with addition of rear sway bar upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
I just think its a terrible mistake fooling with the original geometry and getting rid of one of the virtues of the Forester..not to mention warranty considerations and hurting the value of the car. To each his own.

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
A terrible mistake? Do you know this by experienced? Imo the upgrades that I did improved the handling....eliminated the swaying and oem bounce the SJ had. So if you said this is a terrible mistake based by experienced you had please share.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A terrible mistake? Do you know this by experienced? Imo the upgrades that I did improved the handling....eliminated the swaying and oem bounce the SJ had. So if you said this is a terrible mistake based by experienced you had please share.
You said eliminated oem bounce? how come?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's your definition of "light off-roading?" I would think anything above 6" clearance will suffice for light off road. IMO

I'm dropped on RSR lowering springs. It limited most of that OEM bouncy feel. The handling is much better with addition of rear sway bar upgrade.

Your car looks nice. You said limited most of that OEM bouncy feel with RSR lowering springs. Could you show me which spring you swapped? are they stiffer or softer than the oem ones?

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. Here's a pic of the springs.

The RSR spring rates are stiffer but not by much than OEM (from what I've been researching) so the ride is comparable to stock but eliminating a lot of that bouncy feel it had. The bounce difference is what I noticed the most. I say it still feels comfortable and I don't really feel harshness. But it could be because I came from a lowered Lexus Sportcross and I upgraded all the suspension and love that "feeling the road" ride. I don't have that feeling with the Forester though, so the comfort is there.

In my opinion, the OEM ride is pretty bouncy at highway speeds over bumps and dips. The RSR springs definitely helped tone it down by a lot. So that's what I meant by eliminating most of the bouncy feel. Yes, it is stiffer but the ride comfort hasn't change to me.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the compliment. Here's a pic of the springs.

The RSR spring rates are stiffer but not by much than OEM (from what I've been researching) so the ride is comparable to stock but eliminating a lot of that bouncy feel it had. The bounce difference is what I noticed the most. I say it still feels comfortable and I don't really feel harshness. But it could be because I came from a lowered Lexus Sportcross and I upgraded all the suspension and love that "feeling the road" ride. I don't have that feeling with the Forester though, so the comfort is there.

In my opinion, the OEM ride is pretty bouncy at highway speeds over bumps and dips. The RSR springs definitely helped tone it down by a lot. So that's what I meant by eliminating most of the bouncy feel. Yes, it is stiffer but the ride comfort hasn't change to me.
Thank you so much. So you just change the springs?
I personally do not mind stiffer ride, but I hate bouncy.
I feel good in my friend's mini cooper (which i believe a stiff car), but it is not bouncy. Maybe I will try your settings first.

Thanks

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Nope, left those for now. I realize they will wear out quicker but until then I will wait. By the time I need to swap those out hopefully there will be other aftermarket options on struts.

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Thank you so much. So you just change the springs?
I personally do not mind stiffer ride, but I hate bouncy.
I feel good in my friend's mini cooper (which i believe a stiff car), but it is not bouncy. Maybe I will try your settings first.

Thanks
No problem man! Yup, just the springs.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
It's because if you look at yours now the rear sits much higher than the front. So RSR intentionally designed it this way to have an overall cleaner look with matching ride height. A lot of aftermarket springs do this method with vehicles that have uneven ride height from stock. Also why the rear springs are stiffer to compensate for the lower drop.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's because if you look at yours now the rear sits much higher than the front. So RSR intentionally designed it this way to have an overall cleaner look with matching ride height. A lot of aftermarket springs do this method with vehicles that have uneven ride height from stock. Also why the rear springs are stiffer to compensate for the lower drop.
Ah,then why OEM rear is much higher than the front? :confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts