Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
"Wheels" magazine here tested the new SH Forester X with the 126kw engine back is late 2008 and the manual did 16.8secs and the auto did 17.3secs. They have never tested an SG manual but they did 17.5secs in the 06 auto which has the 121kw engine and 18.1secs in the 03 auto which has the 112kw engine.

"Wheels" is very consistent with their tests but as far as I know they still test with 2 people and at least 1/2 tank of fuel.

·
Registered
2018 Forester ∞
221 Posts
Yeah...it sure feels like an eternity to come up to freeway speed unless you play with the auto tranny...even downhill is challenging to pick up speed!

(but I still love you baby!)

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
I would guess about 5 minutes.

But I still love this damned car. Don't know why but it's one of my favorites ever.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Yeah...it sure feels like an eternity to come up to freeway speed unless you play with the auto tranny...even downhill is challenging to pick up speed!

(but I still love you baby!)
You guys have gotta be kidding me. Maybe on the Autobahn the 2.5 NA would have trouble getting up to speed, but not on any highway in my neck of the woods. Yes, it can be dramatic w/the 4EAT, it'll stay in 2nd and 3rd quite a while if your foot is heavy...but it gets you into the swim pretty quick, IMHO. We recently drove to Philly, the only car that crawled up my a$$ was a Porsche Carrerra (spelling?) that was in a BIG hurry to get on the Cross Bronx Expressway.
Steve
2.5X AT(don't look now, I'm passing ya....:biggrin:

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
How much quicker is a stock 2.5 XT 4EAT over a stock X 5spd? That's what I wanna know. I'm plenty satisfied with the X 5spd acceleration, although I wouldn't want an X 4EAT.

And how experienced does one have to be with the "foot roll" technique to get good time out of the 4EAT? How much difference versus just "flooring it"? Is it really that finicky?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I love my Forester, but it doesn't really accelerate, but rather "gathers momentum" :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I think from 0-30 the X model gets up great. ABove that it isn't spectactular, but it sure beats most of the 100hp econoboxes I owned in the 90s (Civics, Tercels etc.).

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
The biggest issue for the X is getting going from 0.

If you have a rolling start, say lightly from 0-10/15 then give it the full beans, it isn't bad at all as far as overall acceleration is concerned. If that made any sense at all.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
How much quicker is a stock 2.5 XT 4EAT over a stock X 5spd? That's what I wanna know.
Here we go again..... It isn't. I can't remember any car tested by "Wheels" magazine here in Aust in the last 40 years where the auto was faster than the manual. In some cars the manual can be almost a second quicker over the 1/4 mile. Check the NA Forester figures I quoted as an example.

"Wheels" tested an auto 04 XT with the 155kW engine and 4.44 diff and did 14.8 secs over the 1/4 mile and then an 06 XT 5 speed with the 169kW engine and also did 14.8 secs while the rival magazine "Motor" tested an 09 XT 5 speed and did 14.8 secs. I think "Motor" tests one up where "Wheels" uses two people but their figures are usually fairly close.

Actually like most of the world we live with the metric system so they test them over 400m which is about a metre shorter than a 1/4 mile. And it is also why our power figures are quoted in kW not horsepower.

BTW Subaru Australia claim the SH 09 5 speed XT does 0-100km/h in 7.1 secs and the auto in 7.9 secs. They claimed the SG 06 XT 5 speed did 6.0 secs and the auto 7.6 secs. I know a faster 0-100 km/h does not always mean a faster 1/4 mile time but most of the time it does.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Here we go again..... It isn't. I can't remember any car tested by "Wheels" magazine here in Aust in the last 40 years where the auto was faster than the manual. In some cars the manual can be almost a second quicker over the 1/4 mile. Check the NA Forester figures I quoted as an example.

"Wheels" tested an auto 04 XT with the 155kW engine and 4.44 diff and did 14.8 secs over the 1/4 mile and then an 06 XT 5 speed with the 169kW engine and also did 14.8 secs while the rival magazine "Motor" tested an 09 XT 5 speed and did 14.8 secs. I think "Motor" tests one up where "Wheels" uses two people but their figures are usually fairly close.

Actually like most of the world we live with the metric system so they test them over 400m which is about a metre shorter than a 1/4 mile. And it is also why our power figures are quoted in kW not horsepower.

BTW Subaru Australia claim the SH 09 5 speed XT does 0-100km/h in 7.1 secs and the auto in 7.9 secs. They claimed the SG 06 XT 5 speed did 6.0 secs and the auto 7.6 secs. I know a faster 0-100 km/h does not always mean a faster 1/4 mile time but most of the time it does.
uhhh... you missed I was wanting a comparison between a Turbo (XT) 4EAT and an N/A (X) 5 speed ... not simple auto versus manual ... :icon_razz:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
uhhh... you missed I was wanting a comparison between a Turbo (XT) 4EAT and an N/A (X) 5 speed ... not simple auto versus manual ... :icon_razz:
It's all there in my two posts. 04 XT auto 14.8 secs 09 X 5 speed 16.8 secs

The first forester I drove was an 07 X 5 speed which really impressed me for all the reasons Foresters impress but also because I felt it had adequate performance. Immediately afterwards I drove an 07 XT auto which really disappointed, mainly because it felt so slow from a standing start. Note it was NEW with 4km on the clock and I drove it like it was stolen but it still disappointed. Then I drove an 05 XT 5 speed and was hooked - I went and bought a new 07 XT 5 speed the following week.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
It's all there in my two posts. 04 XT auto 14.8 secs 09 X 5 speed 16.8 secs

The first forester I drove was an 07 X 5 speed which really impressed me for all the reasons Foresters impress but also because I felt it had adequate performance. Immediately afterwards I drove an 07 XT auto which really disappointed, mainly because it felt so slow from a standing start. Note it was NEW with 4km on the clock and I drove it like it was stolen but it still disappointed. Then I drove an 05 XT 5 speed and was hooked - I went and bought a new 07 XT 5 speed the following week.
forgive me for not connecting them on different pages. :biggrin:

to clarify even further:
- Most people probably don't really know how to power brake an auto that well, as in drag-racing.
- So I am more interested in real-life drivers in both cars, not what is the best time an experienced race or test driver can pull off.
- Many complain of the way the 4EAT feels "flooring it" and wind up working it with the throttle to some degree to get what they feel is the best acceleration.
- I am not remotely suggesting an X 5 spd is faster than an XT auto ... i was just wondering what the "real life" difference was.

edit: will the average person notice 2 sec in a quarter mile ... unless racing?!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts