Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a complete noooooob when it comes to the car buying process (although I am really trying to educate myself. I've read a bunch of articles on Edmunds.com and Truecar.com and a few other places.)

But the last time I bought a car, it was used. I was in a small town in Japan. And I bought it (or practically stole it) from the local mechanic on the recommendation or the town's bus driver. Couldn't be easier, and it was the best car I ever owned.

Anyway, I just want to get the car I want for a good price (which seems to be not that much below invoice at the moment) without having to do mortal combat at a dealership. So I'll be imposing on you all from time to time with my ignorance.

First question: So I've checked the current inventories of most of the dealers in my area online and I'm finding a pretty small selection of the base 2010 Forester with manual transmission, let alone in any of the colors that my wife and I agree on. If I really want a good deal, should I be prepared to accept any paint on the dealer's lot as long as it's the right trim and transmission? If I want to be picky about the color, will I necessarily have to pay more?

Second: If the car we want is on the lot, except it has a bunch of optional accessories already installed, can I ask to have them removed to bring the price down? I don't want to pay for things we don't need.

Cheers,
-Brian*

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
You may wrangle a better deal on fresh inventory in stock (heard this from a former salesperson on a different forum), but for me, having bought my 2 most recent cars in colors that were not my first choice, this time it was Newport Blue Pearl or bust for me.

When the sales guy said they had "just sold" the blue one showing on the web page the night before, and asked what my second choice was, I said I had no second choice.

They were able to find one within minutes when I came back with my checkbook a couple of days later.

So ... if the color matters, stand your ground. If the lowest possible price matters, compromise.

·
Registered
2010 2.5x special edition
49 Posts
Our dealer had access to every dealer in Oregon and had the color we wanted within two days of completing the deal.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
Your local dealer probably has ways of finding your color that you wouldn't have stumbled on by yourself. They are pretty good at horsetrading among each other, even at quite a distance.

I would suspect that de-installing options is pretty much a non-starter. Anyway, many of what you might call 'options' are actually part of a specific model level and not priced separately.

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
Our dealer had access to every dealer in Oregon and had the color we wanted within two days of completing the deal.
That would be ok, if the trade was just a few miles away. However, would you want someone else, maybe some kid, putting on a good share of those critical breakin miles, driving your new car across the state?

Maybe I'm just too picky and I hear too many stories... :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
Subaru's website is pretty good about letting you search other dealer's inventory yourself by zipcode or whatever. I was able to use those printouts to show my dealer where I could get a better price on an identical Forester. Don' t think they liked that, but it helped! Bottom line for me has always been if you can afford the car, you can afford the color you want. I insisted on Paprika Red Pearl and love it (they had it sent over from another dealer no problem), but it's such a great vehicle I think I would have quickly grown to love any color.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
ever thought of doing a fly and drive? If you work it out with a dealer in a nearby city, perhaps you can save a few bucks by splitting the cost of a one way plane ticket. I did this for one of my previous vehicles and it was a lot of fun.. especially considering I coudn't get that particular configuration in my region. Just another option to consider if it's viable.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
My first suggestion for you and wife--give another color option a try. My last 2 cars purchases were not the color I initially wanted, and within a week I ended up really liking both of the colors. If the car has everything else you want and you feel good about the price, the color will grow on you.

Second idea, the dealer will probably be able to bring down the price of those extra options if you're serious about making the deal, or they'll find the color you want from another location as the previous posts say. Try autotrader.com and search by manual transmission.

But the manual tranny is hard to come by. That's what I shopped for too and didn't see many, so you may end up finding the color you want, but it will have a slightly different feature set (premium, allweather, fog lights, whatever) and thus different price. In that case, try to negotiate away the cost of the additional features.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
34 Posts
Not to say that every dealer would do this, but when I bought my '09 XT the dealer found one the color I wanted at a dealer 100 miles away and had it sent over. That specific car also had the sports grill and front underspoiler, neither of which I wanted, and they replaced both with the standard versions before delivery. As bbottomley said above if the items are part of the trim level I doubt they'd agree to take them off but if they're truly options/accessories they should accommodate you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts