My Avatar

!!

Eye of the Needle Arch

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ibex Dunes

The picture doesn't do this justice. A cacophony of birds greets you at this WETLANDS in Death Valley.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I can't handle much more of this!

Fav. Pic

Some day I've got to get out there and go driving, I'm stuck here with cows and chevy's :(

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,437 Posts
Wow, awesome pics!! The abundance and variety of natural sights and landscapes in our state never ceases to amaze me. Did you go all by yourself?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I was solo for the 5 days. Solo trips several days long are awesome and horrible, almost at the same time!

I came home a day too early, and got to the Sonoma-Marin line (San Antonio Creek/Lake) at midnight on Dec. 30. But I think I've told that story already!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,437 Posts
MountainBiker said:
Yeah, I was solo for the 5 days. Solo trips several days long are awesome and horrible, almost at the same time!

I came home a day too early, and got to the Sonoma-Marin line (San Antonio Creek/Lake) at midnight on Dec. 30. But I think I've told that story already!
lol, yeah, about the cop who thought the Forester was an amphibious vehicle... :rolleyes:

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
I would be sooo afraid of the trusty Foz breaking down in a remote area like that.

awesome pics, and def. the best time of year to go...death valley has a tendency to live up to its name!

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Very beautiful photos. The nice pics made my day. The trip I bet was awesome but I would be too chicken to go solo.

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
That looks like a great trip MountainBiker!!!:D
I've been through Death Valley many years ago and was awe-struck, unfortunatly, I didn't get to do any side exploring.:(

I do get to go play in the desert around Las Vegas when we go visit my brother-in-law in April, no Subie but he's got an X-Terra.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SenorSubie said:
Did you meet any other cars/people along this trip?
I ran into a Scout troop on one of the canyon washes. They said there was no way the little subie would make it to the dead end where a hiking trail starts (and where they had left their 4x4s). So I had to try! And I made it through the deep sand and some interesting off-camber hard packed dirt sections, and parked next to their trucks. No drama.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DOHCammin said:
I would be sooo afraid of the trusty Foz breaking down in a remote area like that.

awesome pics, and def. the best time of year to go...death valley has a tendency to live up to its name!
It will only break down if you do something stupid! Not that I haven't done stupid stuff though.:rolleyes:

Their were actually quite a few people around during that week. And since I had good camping gear, food & water, lots of tools and safety and recovery gear, I wasn't too worried. I was cautious of course, and there were two roads that I had to abort since they got too rough for the Forester.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
carljwnc said:
That looks like a great trip MountainBiker!!!:D
I've been through Death Valley many years ago and was awe-struck, unfortunatly, I didn't get to do any side exploring.:(

I do get to go play in the desert around Las Vegas when we go visit my brother-in-law in April, no Subie but he's got an X-Terra.:cool:
Hmmm, April is when I plan to do another Desert trip. Those X-Terra's are very capable, especially the '05 offroad model!

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Feel free to come visit Vegas while we're there, we actually have a few folks meeting us from SF and LA while we're out there. Don't know what my X-Terra availability will be like, but bro-in-law works nights so I can prolly get out some during the day.:D

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bullmtnbiker said:
The first picture under Ibex Dunes is stunning... good work!
MountainBiker said:
Ibex Dunes

That is one of my favorites too. And all these shots were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 2200, 2MP and only $100.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
wow, i didn't see these photos before.... love the blue death valley sunset photo.... looks like you visited another planet...! thanks a bunch for sharing...!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts