Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up our forester xt turbo, bubble gummed it all day. Got home and read the book. DO NOT RACE THE MOTOR, DON'T REV OVER 4,000 RPM. oops guess i should read the book first. WWhat damage may I have done to my new baby.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase!

Brand new car? how many miles

If its after the 'break in' period you should be fine

btw welcome :)

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
LOL

I shouldn't be laughing, but your situation is so similar with mine when I picked my FXT up. I think I've hit 5K twice and 6K once with a little over 50 mile on the ODO. She's got 1100 mile now and runs like a champ. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just go easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SKSTI Nice to know I'm not the only maniac out here. I plan to go easy, hard as it is to keep my foot out of it I will. What if any thing could I have messed up, would I know right off or have I effected long term performance or damage.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Don't worry too much about it, your Forester is probably just fine. When I was trying to break Subed in, I'd hit 5k at least twice a day, no matter how much I tried to keep myself in check... didn't do any damage at all. Had a Blackstone Labs oil analysis done at 30k and everything was in tip top shape. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
O.K. I'm starting to feel better about it. Thanks for the response. I'm really glad you people are here. Love the car. I sold my lexus gx470 to get the forester. The forester is more fun to drive and has a better stereo. Thanks again people!

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
I'm sure whoever test drove the car before you hot rodded it...it seems most sales people put the hammer to the metal on every test drive I've been on.

You've got nothing to worry about. just make sure you keep your driving mixed, with a few WOT spurts and make sure you dont cruise at the same RPM for a period of time.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Really? when we took mine out the guy specifically told me to keep it below 4K. How fn boring was that test drive?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
DAMWAGN said:
Really? when we took mine out the guy specifically told me to keep it below 4K. How fn boring was that test drive?
Haha, so was mine! My salesman took me through a 35 zone for the entire time (all of 5 minutes or so). :rolleyes: When I took a turn at 5 below the speed limit, the Geolandars screamed in protest and the sales guy and my then-husband looked at me like I had committed a crime... :lol:

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Haha, so was mine! My salesman took me through a 35 zone for the entire time (all of 5 minutes or so). :rolleyes: When I took a turn at 5 below the speed limit, the Geolandars screamed in protest and the sales guy and my then-husband looked at me like I had committed a crime... :lol:
Yeah, I was already their to buy it regardless but took it around the block for "craps and laughs"(won't print the other saying)...the zones by the dealership are 25 and 35mph zones:rolleyes: but I got it anyway and waited impatiently for the 1K to roll around...but when it did...hello rev limiter :lol:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Hmm, I'm in a similar boat. I thought going up to 5k rpm was okay up to the 1000 mile break-in period. I usually read my owners manual and associated docs as soon as I buy the car but I've been on the road most of the time since. Today I accelerated up to 5k in the first 3 or 4 gears, not full-mashing of it. Maybe I'll take it easy for the next 500 miles.

God, it's so tempting. And I love the sound.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
pleiad7 said:
When I was trying to break Subed in,....
I know it's suppose to pronounce Soub-dh, but for some odd reason I kept seeing Su-bet.

I dunno... it has a nice ring to it. Sorta like a pet's name, ya know? :D

·
Registered
859 Posts
6500rpmed mine plenty of times in the first 100 miles. No ill effects. No oil consumption.

The only bad thing about driving it hard right out of the dealership is you get used to the power and start modding it earlier.

Frank

·
Fear the Gorilla!
181 Posts
fmowry said:
6500rpmed mine plenty of times in the first 100 miles. No ill effects. No oil consumption.

The only bad thing about driving it hard right out of the dealership is you get used to the power and start modding it earlier.

Frank
When I went to get my car (it was ordered and delivered with 1-2 miles on it), the saleman asked me to boot it at about 60 "drop her in 4th and nail it..." I stared at him and mentioned "not in my car pal"...he turned RED.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
No damage done at all unless you consistently redline it. Motors are broken in at the factory anyway. I stil would not redline it and keep doing that over and over. Then you will have some problems later.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah, I "test" drove one they had on the lot, then told them to find me a PSM premium package. They didnt' have any, but had one coming in.. so it had about 12 miles or so on it when I got it. Babied it as much as possible keeping it under 5k rpm for first 1k break in miles as instructed by the salesman. They also told me to keep the test drive under 5k rpm.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
What is wrong with driving fast during the break in period??? I couldn't sdee why it would make a difference.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
It's not so much driving it fast that will cause problems it's driving it fast before it's warmed up and driving it hard for prolonged periods that might cause problems. New engines are usually "tight" and and tend to run hotter so they need a chance to cool down after heating up.

Probably doesn't matter a lot but if you like to keep your car for 100K + miles I think it's a good idea to take it easy for the first few hundred miles.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
don't worry... I believe in the drive it like you stole it type of break in.. suppose to be better... my car doesn't have any problems so far...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts