Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mr. November 2008
2015 BMW 335d xDrive GT Auto
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this on Scoobynet, so your dedicated newswatcher has re-posted the picture on here...

Maybe somebody was showing off - the plane in the background looks like they are !

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
I don't get it. How come the Forester has such a significant damage when the airplane’s body is fully intact ... even the propeller is not broken! Must be staged, or that plane is made from cast iron.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
If anyone has seen the mythbusters episode of the run away plane, you would believe that this is possible.

My guess is he hand cranked it

it got away

hit the subaru

the propeller is completely hizoed, can't you see the splinters?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
Airplane 1
Forester 0

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
35 Posts
Usually this kind of thing means the car was somewhere it shouldn't have been - taildraggers like that have no direct fwd visibility at all when taxiing, pilot would never see it.

That's a high-performance aerobatic competition plane which usually means a high compression engine, I wouldn't want to try & hand-prop it :)

W

·
0 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Airplane 1
Forester 0
I'd actually say that it is
Airplane 0
Forester 0

From the damage to the prop, that plane will (legally anyway) require a full engine rebuild, at least stripping down to get the crank Xray'd. Whenever the engine is running during a prop strike, in Australia anyway, the reg's require a teardown inspection. The prop at least will be toast ($AU15,000 - 30,000 dependinig on the specific model).

The Engines in competition aerobatics planes like this one are generally custom built units, so the cost of that could be huge.

Anyone know what model plane it is? Zooming in on the canopy, it looks to me like the pilot name is Tom Moon. He is an Australian aerobatics pilot, and owns an Extra 300, based at Temora.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Why do they put the rear windshield wiper on the wrong side!!

W

·
0 Posts
Found it!

From the Airshow's log of visiting aircraft:
"VH-NIS Extra EA300S, Flight Limited P/L
(Arr 13th, Display 14th,15th C/S ‘Extra 300’. Damaged in collision with
tarmac vehicle following display 15th, towed to hangar 4) [G1]"

From a web report at http://www.mcherron.com/photos/aircraft/Avalon_Airshow_2003/

Quote:
The Accident
Seems that one of the airshow staff stopped their car momentarily to watch the F-15 take off. Unfortunately, they were stopped on a grass taxiway and an aircraft had just come off the runway and was heading back to the main areas. The result - crash - written off car and plane... Fortunately, no one was seriously injured.

And his pictures:
http://www.mcherron.com/photos/aircraft/Avalon_Airshow_2003/Damaged_aircraft.jpg
http://www.mcherron.com/photos/aircraft/Avalon_Airshow_2003/Damaged_Car.jpg

Note the plane wasn't written off. It was rebuilt, and as I mentioned before, resides at the Temora aviation Museum, and can be seen demonstrating what it does best on most flying weekends.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Aleksey said:
I don't get it. How come the Forester has such a significant damage when the airplane’s body is fully intact ... even the propeller is not broken! Must be staged, or that plane is made from cast iron.
If you can get that plane airborne with that prop in that condition then you are indeed Superman, that prop has been totalled.
Aircraft owner will also need a "teardown", well here in Aust anyway, all propeller strikes require and engine dismantle and the crank has to be X-rayed for cracks etc., big bikkies for somebody.

Edit: Just saw Wocka's 2 posts, we both have Aviation backgrounds by the looks of it.
I wouldn't want to be in the Safety Officers shoes on this one thankyou very much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts