Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm changing my rear anti roll bar for an STi item this weekend and thought it would be a good idea to grease the bushes while I'm at it.

What grease should I use? I have some Castol LM grease at home which is lithium based but will this harm the ruuber as it is petrol based?

Ta

Mark

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,841 Posts
The grease that came with my COBB sway bars was very sticky, nothing like I've seen before. :icon_eek: I have heard of members using Teflon thread sealing tape. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
White lithium or red rubber grease is the stuff to use.....

Simon

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
It was my understanding that you don't grease rubber bushings for the reasons you stated (rubber breaking down with time) that grease should only be used on the poly bushings.:shrug:

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ho hum I ended up buying some sticky silicone grease from Halford bike shop. Waterproof, won't eat rubber etc. Probably didn't need it but it won't do any harm.

PS Getting the new roll bar over the exhaust is a total PITA!!!!!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
22 Posts
It was my understanding that you don't grease rubber bushings for the reasons you stated (rubber breaking down with time) that grease should only be used on the poly bushings.:shrug:
What this person said. Petroleum based products are great for metals, but will break down rubbers. Grease poly bushings or you will make music with every turn and bump.

·
Registered
1999 forester
64 Posts
The only grease you should use on rubber is silicone grease. Petroleum-based grease will attack the rubber. Polyurethane bushings DO require grease per the manufacturer's instructions. And that's a fact Jack!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts