• Neutral (though you REALLY shouldn't)

Votes: 25 21.4%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you MT owners, what gear do you leave the transmission in when you park?

For years and years, I've always put the transmission in 2nd and set the parking brake when I park the car. I don't know why I chose 2nd gear, I guess I just arbitrarily chose a gear when parking and made it a habit over the years.

What do you guys do?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I added neutral as an option. Though, in an effort to maintain safety, you REALLY should not park the car in neutral. That is horrifically dangerous.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
I marked 1st, but it depends on my speed at the time I'm parking. In my garage I leave it in 1st because I have to take the curb to the driveway slow to prevent scraping. Everywhere else I leave it in 2nd, put in the clutch and coast into the parking space.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
26 Posts
I guess I try to put it in either first or reverse depending on whether I'm up or dowhill... but on flat ground I put it in reverse. I read somewhere that reverse is the strongest since it's straight cut rather than helical, but I don't really know if that applies to the Forester... I guess force of habit then...

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reverse is straight cut... sort of.

Reverse works by sliding an idler gear between a straight-cut portion of the input shaft, and the 1st/2nd shift collar. So while it IS straight cut, the total gear width is a little under 1/2 an inch. MUCH narrower than any of the other gears.

Straight cut, yes. Stronger? Most definitely not.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two people so far put Neutral. Can I ask why?

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Handbrake on at all times, plus (generally) 1st. Pointing steeply downhill I will hang it in reverse, tho.

/and at 16.5:1 compression, it aint going anywhere...

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester SG5 5MT
198 Posts
If I park on a very steep hill - then first or reverse depending on the car location (direction).
If I park on a flat ground - mostly in neutral as long as my handbrake can keep the car from going even on steep hill and I still have an ability to remote start it.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The handbrake isn't an end-all-be-all for stopping the car. There have been plenty of times when people have reported normally-functioning hand brakes have failed to actually arrest a car. If the car is hit while parked, the handbrake will do very little to keep it from moving.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,378 Posts
The handbrake isn't an end-all-be-all for stopping the car. There have been plenty of times when people have reported normally-functioning hand brakes have failed to actually arrest a car. If the car is hit while parked, the handbrake will do very little to keep it from moving.
I almost never use handbrake (for auto) If I have to park on a hill which is very rare, I try to park against a curb. Or as a last resort I will use the E-Brake.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Usually I'm on flats (voted neutral), but yeah, sure...anything could happen. When I'm on a hill I put it in first and point the tires towards the curb (if there is one). When I was in blacksburg area (mountains) I actually drove into the curb so if anything failed the car wouldn't have any momentum to hop up over it. All my friends looked at me weird, but I'm not trying to have a run away ride.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,945 Posts
How about an option for "whatever gear it happens to be in at the time"? (not neutral)

It's not something I usually think too hard about. I use the hand brake most of the time anyway, except in winter. In winter I'll leave the brake off to prevent freezing up, unless I'm on a steep hill. I'll put the car in first or reverse, depending on which direction I intend to go when I start it up again.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts