Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a couple of PMs asking what gauges in our line-up would be best for the FXT. Over the years we've offered serveral different gauge lines and have consistantly worked toward making each iteration better than the last. For the past two years the best gauges we've offered have been the "Ultra" series. These are the ones that are most similiar to Defi in function and have the best sending units. Using a wireless IR remote, the gauges support: adjustable warning, peak recall, separate warning and peak lamps, 50 sec. record and playback, audible alert on/off, ability to run larger external warning lamps and a boat load more. The "standard" Ultra series are a great value for those that want it all.

For those that want all the critical features and no extra fluff, we more recently introduced the Ultra "Basic" series. These gauges look identical to their more expensive IR remote brothers and use the same internals and exact same sending units from the standard Ultras as well, but some functions(like the 50 sec. record/playback) are removed because the "Basics" do not have the ability to make use of the wireless remote. They maintain the most asked for function: user adjustable warning points. As well as still maintaining peak recall(programmed into the shutdown sequence). As a bonus they also support 4 different backlit contrast levels as well as off(typically used for the day) and day/night memory for your illumination setting. The boost gauge uses a full 29 psi sending unit(2bar) vs. many gauges that are optimistic with their gauge face reading 25-30psi while only supplying a 14.5psi or 22psi sending units.

My suggestion for the FXT owner is the Ultra Basics in Green/White. White requires no illumination. I've seen other gauges where the green backlighting is not strong enough to give a good view during the day so you have to switch to white...yet the white requires LED backlighting as well...and while more easlily viewable during the day is still no where near the clarity you get with MadDad Ultra's. which require no illumination for their white display. They look just like your factory cluster during the day...does your factory cluster require illumination to display white digits? Neither should your gauge :)

We have a brand new shopping cart/website experience being rolled out next month. If you want to learn more about Ultra gauges you can "preview" our new site. DO NOT ORDER VIA THIS SITE. This site is not production ready yet and we have not updated the url or applied our SSL encryption required for secure transactions yet. Do use it to view our gauge offerings and read about all the great features of the best gauges we've ever made. You can also checkout what the delivered cost would be for one or more gauges by putting items in your basket. The new site allows you to type in a zip to calculate shipping to your zip code without having to create an account or check out. There is also a coupon code: 3GAUGES , you can apply if you have 3 gauges or more in you basket. It will take 20% the total. If you want to order PM your # and I will give you call. This site will be live end of the first week of November and you can order securely over the site then. This new "Basic" line is not listed on our outgoing shopping cart. Any questions float me a PM.

Learn about the Ultra series of gauges here - http://vcqur.ocase.servertrust.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2

View the Green/White Ultra Basics here - http://vcqur.ocase.servertrust.com/searchresults.asp?cat=49

Remember our new site is still a work in progress so comments welcome.

R.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,205 Posts
no egt in the basic green? I will be looking for 4 gauges in the future, 2 on a steering column pod and 2 in the subtle solution ashtray pod. and the green looks like a nice match to the green interior

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vinnyd - Ultra "Basics" are available(in stock) in boost, egt, and oil pressure currently. There is also the fancier Ultra "standard" that is available in boost, egt, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, and fuel pressure.

Subieoutlaw - checkout the Ultra's design for the STi cluster, red with the red needle, otherwise identical.

the photo makes them look a little more amber...the reality is they match the STi cluster. We make the Ultra "standard" in red in a 60mm series as well.

Use the below link to check out all the different Ultra series gauges/sizes. Remember this is our new site that is not ready for ordering from yet. Use it for the moment to get full product info on the gauges.

http://vcqur.ocase.servertrust.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2

wordsarize - see above already available :)

To recap, the "Basic" versions that are lower cost and do not have the support for the wireless remote functions are available currently in stock in Boost, EGT, and Oil Pressure.

The "Standard" version is currently in stock in 60mm red in Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure. We are out of stock on the red 52mm boost at the moment.

R.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
cool i may purchase one soon.. do they come "as pictured" with the bezel n all? or just the gauge?

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so for someone wanting oil temp, oil pressure, boost and egt you have no green option availble?
You'd have to get the "standard" versions that use the IR wireless remote for the temp gauge since it's not currently available in the Basic. The "standard" and "basic" are 100% identical visually so your most economical solution is to get the "Basic" Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure which are all in stock and then we give you the standard version in oil temp which is also in stock. We'd throw in the wireless remote for the oil temp so you can set the warning,ect.

It would run $511.84 plus shipping for those 4 gauges. As a recap that is the Basic series in Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure, and a standard series Oil Temp. The price is 20% off the regular prices and a free IR Remote for the temp(usually $34.95). These are all in stock.

Just stating all this public rather than a PM so others will know that they can mix and match the "Basic" with the "Standard" because they look identical.

wordsarize - good question and yes they come as pictured with the free visor and universal mount which has a soft aluminum base that can be contoured to a surface curve. works well as a steering column mount. We are also an ATi distributor and carry their triple clock pod amoung many mounts.

R.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,205 Posts
the triple clock pod doesn't fit with the foresters just as an fyi.
thanks for the response. gotta get the brembos installed before gauges but it is high on my todo list this off season

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the triple clock pod doesn't fit with the foresters just as an fyi.
thanks for the response. gotta get the brembos installed before gauges but it is high on my todo list this off season
Had a brain cramp when posting that :) , there is one other mount that is not as well known. ATi makes a dual gauge pod that replaces the top half of the steering column with a fully moulded replacement, it gives two mounts that are on user adjustable tilt/swivel bases. The thick look bone stock because it is a fully molded replaced...slick. I remeber sending on a FXT owner a couple years and he said it fit. I'll have to post a pic of this for folks to see.

R.

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,414 Posts
Nice gauges & choices. I'm def. in the market for a set.

However, I'm a bit confused. Maybe cause it's late : )

So, what is the difference between the "Ultra Basics" and "Ultra Standards"? Is it me, or do those two products sound identical. I think you guys need to better differentiate the two so us consumers know which ones to get. Maybe change the terms "basic" and "standard" to say "standard" and "ultimate"? Just a thought.

Thanks in advance for your help and clarification!

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cnunez13 - the beep is when running a gauge calibration. The only other time you'd hear it is if boost overshot the warning threshold you set.

Not sure where that pod came from...RallyDirect manybe?

Subtle-Solutions - The difference is the "Standard" have a few more features, those being:

* Standard version has ability to shut off the audible alert if you choose
* Standard version has 50 seconds of session record/playback(similiar to Defi Link series)
* Standard version has peak recall on demand..Basic only has peak recall on shutdown.
* Standard version can take advantage of additional device add-ons that interface with the gauge, Basics version don't have this ability. For instance. You can plug in our optional TurboTimer addon to the Standard Boost gauge. The boost gauge face then acts as the interface to the TurboTimer letting you specificy the run time. Benefit..no extra interface box to mount as with typical turbotimers. We've also got a radiator fan control module that plugs into the Standard Temp gauges.

Basically all those functions mentioned require a more advanced interface so the Standard versions use an IR Wireless remote. Similiar to the high end Nexus series from Autometer. Basic versions have the IR Remote interface removed so the feature set is simplified to the main thing most folks want..user adjustable warning.

Hope that helps.

R.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts