Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 FXT sucks back the fuel. I downsized from a full sized dodge pickup to save on fuel, but still have the AWD/offroad capabilities. I'm consistently getting just over 400km/tank in the forester. That sucks IMO. Am I missing something? Its costing me more to drive the forester than it did my truck AND I lost out on all my room for gear, and towing capabilities. When I tow the boat with the forester, I may as well cash in my credit card, its brutal!

The best run I've had was 460km, on 56L of fuel. That was a straight highway run, doing 110km/h on cruise the whole way. In my full size dodge pickup, I'd get over 600km on the same amount of fuel on the highway.......towing my boat and gear.........and have LOTS of room to spare!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love driving the forester. It takes me to some interesting places, down some interesting trails, and to some great fishing holes, but it likes the fuel!! Not only does it get crap mileage, but I'm spending more for the premium fuel as well.

Are there any simple mods I can do to improve my mileage?

Are all the 04 FXT drivers getting similar mileage?

I feel like Im always looking for gas!!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
So about 250 miles to the tank? Depending on how much you like boost, that sounds about right - especially on winter gas.

Make sure your tires are properly inflated (and by properly I don't mean 29 psi, as the owners manual suggests). Get a boost gauge and try to stay out of boost as much as possible. You might also try getting rid of any unneeded cargo you might be lugging around on a regular basis to shed some weight.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that's the case, I think I want my truck back!!

I will admit, I do like the boost :)

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5 Speed
28 Posts
i'm sure the dodge truck had a much bigger gas tank than the forester so comparing milage by the tank isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm sure the dodge truck had a much bigger gas tank than the forester so comparing milage by the tank isn't a good idea.
My Dodge got 12L/100km on the highway, didnt matter if I was loaded and towing, but more like 15L/100km city driving. I had 4x4, lots of cargo room, and more than enough towing capacity.

The forester gets around 15L/100km highway, empty. With the boat in tow Im lucky to get 18L/100km.

Sure, it had a bigger tank, but regular fuel is cheaper, and I got better mileage. The math just isn't working for me. The forester is a gas guzzler!!

BTW, my boat is less than 1000lbs, so its not that heavy.

Are the non turbo's much better? I don't think I could deal with the lack of power with no turbo.

What do you think an '04 FXT is worth? 130K on it. Its in great shape, everything works. No mods. 4 brand new yokahama iceguard snowtires just put on steel rims, geolanders on the aluminum rims, trailer hitch, and tranny cooler. Krown rust protection.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Our stock 04XT has right around 130,000 miles on it and it gets at least 24 highway MPG-US in summertime, or about 9.8L/100km, and occasionally hits the 26 MPG mark (9/100). In winter it drops to around 21 MPG or 11.2L/100km. Year-round, I tote a load in the cargo area of 150+ pounds.

My guess is that maybe you have a sensor getting old and causing some inefficiency, but isn't bad enough yet to throw a CEL.

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
I get about 285 miles or so on my N/A 2000 L. I thought it would be a a little better but. I just came from a modded 5spd. VR6 Jetta so I may be having trouble getting used to the auto and the reduced power.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I agree forester is a gas guzzler. And no N/A is not much better, especially if you tow, you should have sticked with your truck. At least that would be what I would do. My forester gets about 280 on a full tank.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
The forester is a gas guzzler!!
You got it. That's why I don't get it when people research, buy one then complain about the mileage and ask how to improve it. I don't mean you.

I get 250-260 miles on a tank daily-driving -- some city, some highway, stop and go, warming up the car in the morning. On long trips I've gone 320+ miles on a tank. But yeah, gas mileage isn't something our cars are good at.

Stan

·
Registered
09 Forester Diesel
63 Posts
My '04 FXT sucks back the fuel. I downsized from a full sized dodge pickup to save on fuel, but still have the AWD/offroad capabilities. I'm consistently getting just over 400km/tank in the forester. That sucks IMO. Am I missing something? Its costing me more to drive the forester than it did my truck AND I lost out on all my room for gear, and towing capabilities. When I tow the boat with the forester, I may as well cash in my credit card, its brutal!

The best run I've had was 460km, on 56L of fuel. That was a straight highway run, doing 110km/h on cruise the whole way. In my full size dodge pickup, I'd get over 600km on the same amount of fuel on the highway.......towing my boat and gear.........and have LOTS of room to spare!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love driving the forester. It takes me to some interesting places, down some interesting trails, and to some great fishing holes, but it likes the fuel!! Not only does it get crap mileage, but I'm spending more for the premium fuel as well.

Are there any simple mods I can do to improve my mileage?

Are all the 04 FXT drivers getting similar mileage?

I feel like Im always looking for gas!!

What was the tank capacity on the last car?

It may well use less fuel, but have a smaller tank..............the Forester I mean.

·
Registered
09 Forester Diesel
63 Posts
With the Diesel I get an average of 700 kms per tank.

Some of the driving is done at around +100 mph....... :biggrin:

·
Registered
99 Posts
i just got a k and n filter on it.. and the first tank of gas thought it 310.8 miles and filed it up with 12.398 gallons and dived and got 25.07mpg... freakin awesome milage for a awd.. i drive mainly 2 lane blacktop 50-60mph.. no highway not to many stop signs..

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
There must be something wrong. My 07 XT 5 speed gets 9L/100km sitting on 110km/h and if I was ever game to take it as far as needing 56L it would have done well over 600km. The absolute worst it's ever done is 14.5L/100km towing a camper trailer with kayak on top into a head wind at 120km/h. The best has been 7.9L/100km a couple of times sitting on 95km/h and just wanting to see what it can do by being a bit careful. I regularly fill it with 50L and 550km and I rarely drive with economy in mind. I run 35psi in the tyres and have found no difference whether I use 95RON or 98RON unleaded (your 91/93 equivalents I think) It's now done 118,000km and I have kept a complete record of fuel use since 7,000km. And unlike some here it has never used a drop of oil.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
You buy a full time AWD turbocharged "performance" vehicle and complain about gas mileage? It really gets about average gas mileage for a vehicle of the weight, power, and awd. Mine does 24 highway, and about 18 around town. Its quicker than my v8 mustang was, has awd, and gets better gas mileage.

I don't really get what people are expecting? Most fwd sedans are just starting to average over 30 mpg on the smallest engines.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You buy a full time AWD turbocharged "performance" vehicle and complain about gas mileage? It really gets about average gas mileage for a vehicle of the weight, power, and awd. Mine does 24 highway, and about 18 around town. Its quicker than my v8 mustang was, has awd, and gets better gas mileage.

I don't really get what people are expecting? Most fwd sedans are just starting to average over 30 mpg on the smallest engines.
some people think... its a subaru(japan) its got a 4 cyl so its gotta get great gas milage.. they forget about the awd

my pontiac g5 gets about 38mpg but i dont drive it in the winter... i cant.. i wouldent go anywhere...my subaru gets 25mpg and i can take it anywhere..

gotta sacrifice something for the capibilites of a subaru

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
My Ext cab Silverado had the L33 high output 5.3L and the best i could do was 18.5 on the highway and 14- 15 around town and this is in the summer.The Forester gets much better mileage IMO then the truck did.

You say your truck would go 600km on 56L of fuel ? thats over 25mpg if my conversion is correct....372mi/14.79gal No dodge truck made gets 25 mpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
the forester's gas mileage can be vastly improved with a good tune and a free flowing exhaust. If I do it to mine, all it will require is a wideband 02 sensor, my fingers + laptop, and tuning device.

During boost, there is only little room to make the air/fuel ratio leaner and even if you do so, positive boost pressure eats more fuel than vacuum so it's a moot attempt. But, the vacuum region has a good chunk of room to lean out the a/f assuming you have a free flowing exhaust system. :)

Also, don't forget to remove any rail pieces on the top of the car that are used for mounting stuff. Make sure the engine and drivetrain have good synthetic oils and your tires are inflated properly. All these little things help to improve mpg as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts