Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently blew my engine on my 04 forester xt. :icon_frown: I don't have the fundage to rebuild it properly right now, so it is going to take some time to accumulate the parts/money. I would really prefer to rebuild the entire motor with upgraded aftermarket parts. That being said, the car is my daily driver and I need something to drive in the mean time.

Optimally I would like to take an older subaru ej series engine and install it in my fxt, so I can drive the car until I have rebuilt my ej255.

I am fairly certain that many ej series engines will work mechanical in my fxt, my main worry is the electrical portion.

I am looking to spend the least amount of money possible on parts. I don't mind a little bit of wrench time. My thoughts are that likley an N/A motor will be the least expensive option. As I stated this is a temporary patch, which should be for approx 6 months.

Can people please chime in on compatibility between my 04 fxt and other possibly inexpensive engine options. I have been looking for 2.5l engines but not finding much for sale. I have found lots of 1.8L and 2.2L and have even found a complete ej22T.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
You would have to change the ecu and merge the engine harness to the main harness if you want to use an N/A engine, and then merge the turbo engine harness back in when you want to put the turbo motor back in (usually about $1k for a shop to do the harness merge, it will be just as expensive as doing a wrx/sti swap into an N/A forester). It will end up costing MUCH more than just replacing your existing motor.

What blew on the engine? Are the heads ok? If so just pick up a new shortblock.

+1 on just getting a cheap beater while you build up your motor. A used civic or similar will cost less than swapping in an NA motor.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That kinda sucks.

Basically everything is kinda going at once.

A couple of the cylinders have leaks on the exhaust valves and one cylinder in leaking past the piston rings and the other cylinder is fine.As well my vf39 turbo seems to have too much shaft play.

I guess I was kinda hoping there was something I could pop in and possibly use my engine wire harness and then just get a temporary tune. Why can't things be a little easier :icon_frown:

I have an old talon tsi awd that I use for rallying. It is has insurance and is registered but is not currently road worthy.

I guess I was kinda hoping to get my car back on the road, since while it was down and the engine is pulled, I have put some parts that were sitting around on. I just put on my 4/2pot brakes and an sti steering rack. And just over a month ago, I was in an accident and the front got some body work. So now I have a 07 sport front end on my 04 fxt. So I am kind of excited to drive the car, even if it didn't have a turbo engine in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts