Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have on 03 Forester X 5spd. I have been using M1 since 18000 KM. Lately, I have been seeing posts on nasioc about the problems with M1.

Thoughts?

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Mobil 1 is fine. It's been in my Forester since 5k (now just under 41k) and also in the WRX since 3k (now at 14k).

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
I'm old school. I just use good quality dino and change it often. I use Chevron Supreme and buy it by the case.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I've been using M1 5w-30 w/a fram "sure grip" filter for 2 months. No problems so far and oil level hasn't dropped at all.

J

·
0 Posts
At 24,000 mi. I switched my wife's 03 Forester to Mobile 1 and the Napa Gold (same as the WIX) oil filter, which is one of the best oil filters on the market. I ran the oil and filter for 10,000 mi. and last fall changed the oil and oil filter, this time switching to Mobile 1 EP, and installed a new Napa Gold filter. After 10,000 mi. on the Mobile 1 EP I'm going to change the oil and oil filter and have Blackstone Labs do a used oil analysis on the used oil.

I drive an 03 Ford Ranger with the 3.0 liter V6. This is the "Vulcan" engine that's been around for a long time, not the newer Ford Duratec 3.0 liter V6. At 9,000 mi. I switched it to Mobile 1 and a Purolator Pure One oil filter (also one of the best oil filters on the market). Last fall, after 10,000 mi. on the Mobil 1, I changed the oil, again using Mobile 1 and a Pure One filter. After 10,000 mi. I'm going to have Blackstone Labs do a used oil analysis and will switch over to Mobile 1 EP.

I've had no problem with either vehicle as a result of using the Mobile 1 and haven't had to add oil to either vehicle between changes.

After the 10,000 mi. oil change of the Mobile 1 in each vehicle I cut the used filter open and inspected it. Both were in excellent condition and still doing their job.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
NASIOC? Are they referring to N/A or turbo engines? Some say the turbo engines eat synth oil as they're built looser so there's not as much friction. I've not heard of a problem with N/A engines and M1 at all. I use it in both of mine and all is good.

·
Registered
10 Chevy Traverse LTZ
162 Posts
I swear by Royal Purple. I've tried M1, Castrol and always was using about a quart every 1,000 miles (heavy foot).

Through trial and error I found that Royal Purple 10W 30 is the best. I never use more than half a quart every 3,000 miles and it I've noticed about 1-2 more mpg on the highway.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Using Amsoil ASL 5W 30 in both my Lexus ES 300 & my wife's Forester XS. Extended drain intervals when you use the Amsoil filters. It's 'top shelf' stuff! 8) I use to use M1 myself, but switched & in the long run, it actually costs me less to use a better synthetic. :)

Thanks for the post Peaty! I too use the Chevron Techron synthetic fuel system cleaner (I assume that's what you ment?) in my vehicles (large bottle, plus a small one) every 6 months. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
I use castrol 10/40 on my 99 and it has about 140K on it

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
I noticed my wife's dosen't burn a drop of oil either.....although it's only got about 52,000 miles on the clock.....I keep the engine in tune as well so I expect that to continue. :)

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
I have used mobil 1 synthetic on everyone of my vechiles never done me wrong and with a fram filter with the black end dipped so I can get some grip. :lol:

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
I've used Royal purple with a OEM filter for a while now Its was the best oil for my old VER4 and I use it in the forester now. I did find that moble 1 did break down fast in the ver4 and did lose a bit about 1L every 2000km

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
SuperRu said:
I'm old school. I just use good quality dino and change it often. I use Chevron Supreme and buy it by the case.
Me two. If you're going to change it frequently (3K miles or less), I don't see the point in spending more on synthetic. Any lubricant is going to have suspended particles after a lot of miles so it doesn't sit well with me to have extended intervals.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Royal Purple FTW!

5w30 in the winter then 10w30 in the spring/summer! I love this stuff!

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
I too use to use nothing but M1 in my vehicles & was generall happy with it's performance......until I really dove in & started to research things.......a couple of intresting items.....(note: Not at all trying to start an 'oil war' at all ladies & gent's....just thought it was an intresting read is all) ;)

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/letters2.htm

F

·
0 Posts
"better" synthetic...

Lexusfreak said:
Using Amsoil ASL 5W 30 in both my Lexus ES 300 & my wife's Forester XS. Extended drain intervals when you use the Amsoil filters. It's 'top shelf' stuff! 8) I use to use M1 myself, but switched & in the long run, it actually costs me less to use a better synthetic. :)

Thanks for the post Peaty! I too use the Chevron Techron synthetic fuel system cleaner (I assume that's what you ment?) in my vehicles (large bottle, plus a small one) every 6 months. :wink:
How can a full synthetic be any better than another full synthetic...

F

·
0 Posts
Synthetic link...

Lexusfreak said:
I too use to use nothing but M1 in my vehicles & was generall happy with it's performance......until I really dove in & started to research things.......a couple of intresting items.....(note: Not at all trying to start an 'oil war' at all ladies & gent's....just thought it was an intresting read is all) ;)

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/letters2.htm
I researched the link and found nothing more than an advertisement!

I am glad you found a great product and you are sticking to it. But I do not buy the fact that one full synthetic is so different than another to warrant a difference in change intervals and/or price... 409,000 miles without an oil change??? come on

1 - 20 of 27 Posts