Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody knows what it means? The amount of allowable shaft play?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
Looks directly related to the inlet diameter. So A is the nominal term for a 48.5mm inlet housing. B is the nominal term for 46.7mm, etc.

Seems to follow standard convention. Class-7 interference fits are referred to nominally as a "press fit".

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, is there anything significant about them besides size of inlet diameter? A v.s. B?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
About the letter? Probably not? I'm just guessing really. I know the VF22 is one of the worst turbos out there, though. If that helps.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you mean by worst turbos? It's supposed to be the best IHI turbos with the most power capability.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
Says who? Every experience I've had with the VF22 has been pitiful.

They are laggy, make almost no power, and if you are lucky, they don't blow up.

Don't waste your money, get an 18G. Big cover, 8cm^2 18G's spool faster, makes more power, and they don't fail.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm I've read quite a few Dave's comments on how the VF22 is the best IHI turbo for our 2.5L.

It's interesting to know though.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
It might be the best IHI turbo for a 2.5L, but that just speaks poorly about IHI turbos in general. Of the dozen or so people I know who have used VF22's, only one still uses it. More than half of them dropped them for 18G's (and made more power), and the others replaced them because of catastrophic turbo failure. The one still using it hasn't driven the car more than 50 miles in the last year.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's definitely interesting, I never read anything like that when I was researching for a turbo last year.

What about a VF23? Do you have as much experience with those? And would a complete re-tune is required to go from VF23 to 18G? Or can you use the VF23 map as base?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
I have no idea about the VF23. Call me old fashioned, but the 18G works REALLY well. When it comes time for a turbo upgrade, I almost invariably recommend the 18G. Can't go wrong with an 18G.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I already have a VF23 e-tune from Surgeline. Don't want the $250 to go to waste. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
It might be the best IHI turbo for a 2.5L, but that just speaks poorly about IHI turbos in general. Of the dozen or so people I know who have used VF22's, only one still uses it. More than half of them dropped them for 18G's (and made more power), and the others replaced them because of catastrophic turbo failure. The one still using it hasn't driven the car more than 50 miles in the last year.
I'll agree that there are far better turbos available than a VF22....

To the OP, I don't have a clue about the nominal housing reference. Anything I would added would be a guess. Also, if you already have a VF22/23, and you don't want to part with it, just be aware that it is old technology and you can't run high boost with it. They just don't do well with high heat. Material science has come a long way in 20 years.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing over 20-22 psi I'm aiming and 300 whp. Tough spot for me I know, I think I'll slap the VF23 on and see if I'm happy with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts