Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm usually the guy that goes to the car wash but I think I want to start going it myself.

So...list what you use! I'm talkig everything...soap, rags/pads, wax, scratch removal...let me know!

By the way.... I am ashamed to say this but I have never waxed a car on my own before....any tips for me? How/ when do I do it?

Thanks!

Jon

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,514 Posts
I'm usually the guy that goes to the car wash but I think I want to start going it myself.

So...list what you use! I'm talkig everything...soap, rags/pads, wax, scratch removal...let me know!

By the way.... I am ashamed to say this but I have never waxed a car on my own before....any tips for me? How/ when do I do it?

Thanks!

Jon
You don't have to buy your stuff here, but there is lots of how to information at Griot's Garage. No need to spend a ton on car car stuff, I get most of my stuff at local shops while grocery shopping. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
38 Posts
I have had great results with Meguiar's stuff (especially the Gold Class line). I found a decent kit (car wash, wax, plastic polish, microfiber wash mitt, etc.) of items at Amazon.

But, in my opinion, whatever you do: dry your car when you finish washing it. I am amazed at the number of people in my neighborhood that spend the time to wash their, but don't take the extra ten minutes to dry it off to prevent water spots.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
The local gymnastics team. At least they washed my car last Saturday. :lol:

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys wax every time you wash? Or like once a month?

WHat about during the winter?

·
Administrator
39,514 Posts
I'm old school, so I use Turtle Wax car wash, which is a wash & wax. I really don't expect to get much wax from it, but I've used it since I was a kid & I like it. I've used all the other brands that have been mentioned & I always go back to the old standby. :smile:

As to wax, I get my vehicles looking very good (I'm very picky!) during the nice weather & the last waxing towards the end of the good weather will hold out till the Spring. Remember, I live in Oregon, so it's almost always raining! I use Mother's, California Gold, Carnauba Cleaner wax.

As to waxing with every wash. Not me, that's way too much work! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

Here's a picture of my Griot's Garage DI water filter. This is how serious I am about washing my vehicles. Water spotting is a PIA to remove, but using water that can't water spot makes washing our vehicles almost fun. :wink:​

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That thing is scary looking! How often do you wax then?

I'm old school, so I use Turtle Wax car wash, which is a wash & wax. I really don't expect to get much wax from it, but I've used it since I was a kid & I like it. I've used all the other brands that have been mentioned & I always go back to the old standby. :smile:

As to wax, I get my vehicles looking very good (I'm very picky!) during the nice weather & the last waxing towards the end of the good weather will hold out till the Spring. Remember, I live in Oregon, so it's almost always raining!

As to waxing with every wash. Not me, that's way too much work! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

Here's a picture of my Griot's Garage DI water filter. This is how serious I am about washing my vehicles. Water spotting is a PIA to remove, but using water that can't water spot makes washing our vehicles almost fun. :wink:​

·
Administrator
39,514 Posts
That thing is scary looking! How often do you wax then?
When the water stops beading up on the paint, or if I have some free time, I'll wax earlier. :smile:

I use this to apply the wax... makes it so much easier! Then I finish up with this after I wipe off the wax by hand to buff to a perfect shine. :cool:

Keep in mind you don't need the fancy stuff, but they do make the work a lot easier. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok everyone...after doing some research I think I might go with Meguiar's products. I know they make quality stuff and their prices are decent.

I did their questionnaire thing on their website and I'm going to share its recommendations with you. If you have had experience with any of these products please let me know!

Wash:
Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
Microfiber Wash Mitt

Paint Scratch Care:
ScratchX

Wax:
Gold Class Liquid Wax - applied with a Even-Coat Applicator Pad and removed with a Supreme Shine Microfiber Pad
Quik Detailer - for in between waxings

Wheels:
Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

Tires:
Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bobby,

Those things look AWESOME...but I'm a unemployed (read: full time) musician who's on a budget!

When the water stops beading up on the paint, or if I have some free time, I'll wax earlier. :smile:

I use this to apply the wax... makes it so much easier! Then I finish up with this after I wipe off the wax by hand to buff to a perfect shine. :cool:

Keep in mind you don't need the fancy stuff, but they do make the work a lot easier. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
39,514 Posts
I'm sure all the stuff you listed is very good, but to me, you might be getting way more stuff than you really need. :confused:

I use Turtle Wax Wash & Wax. I start at the top & work my way down, ending up at the wheels, using the same bucket of suds to wash off the tires & wheels.

I use a cheap, extra thick bath wash cloth to wash the vehicles with. To dry, I use my old towels that I recycle to be my drying towels. I use microfiber towels, but only for dusting off the vehicles between washings. I really don't like microfiber for washing or drying. :wink:

For waxing. I apply the wax & wipe off with my stash of old soft T-shirts. Like I said, you can do fine without the fancy stuff.

Wax: Mother's California Gold Carnauba Cleaner wax.
All plastic parts, including the tires: Mother's Back to Black

That's all you need & it really doesn't cost much at all. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
I wash my car probably every other week (weather permitting), apply Back-to-Black on the rocker panels every month, and wax every other month. This might be a bit excessive, but I honestly enjoy washing my car. I just got a new sponge with lots of microfiber tentacles that has been doing a great job, and I have an old sponge for the wheels and mud flaps. Make sure you get a bug sponge too for the windows, front bumper, and side mirrors. I dry the foz immediately with microfiber towels and use the damp towels to clean the door jambs, then apply wax (I use a Meguiar's Carnauba paste), and finally Back-to-Black. My paint has some swirling, so I'm going to try a glaze in between the wash and wax next weekend.

Careful though, you'll get addicted to keeping your car clean. I'm always sad about the layer of dust on it three days after a wash.

Here's my shopping list for you, in short:

- Bucket (some use 2, one for rinsing, one for soapy water)
- Car washing soap
- Sponge (I like 2 so I have one for paint and one for the rocker panels and wheels)
- Bug sponge
- Wheel cleaner
- 12 pack microfiber towels
- Wax
- Microfiber applicator sponge (for wax)
- Back-to-Black (unless you can find Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer...I can't find it here)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. If you want to go crazy, you could add a clay bar kit, glaze, polish, tire shine, etc to the list. Read the Detailing Library and be inspired. There is just something rewarding about a shiny car. And a muddy car. And making a muddy car shiny again. As much as I love having a clean car, I can't pass up a good puddle. :icon_razz:

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
38 Posts
Ok everyone...after doing some research I think I might go with Meguiar's products. I know they make quality stuff and their prices are decent.

I did their questionnaire thing on their website and I'm going to share its recommendations with you. If you have had experience with any of these products please let me know!

Wash:
Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
Microfiber Wash Mitt

Paint Scratch Care:
ScratchX

Wax:
Gold Class Liquid Wax - applied with a Even-Coat Applicator Pad and removed with a Supreme Shine Microfiber Pad
Quik Detailer - for in between waxings

Wheels:
Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

Tires:
Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray

I have/use all of the products you listed and like them all OK.

I wax my car about every month and a half to two months and the Gold Class wax holds up for that long here in Oregon. I've used the Quik Detailer once, but probably won't again because I don't have time for 'in between' waxings--but I guess it did its job.

I would recommend an absorbent microfiber towel for drying. Also, not sure how much black plastic is on your car, but I use the Meguiars Trim Detailer on the rocker panels and rear bumper guard of my 2010-changes them from gray back to black.

I used the ScratchX last weekend for the first time and removed two paint scrapes pretty easily.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
I have/use all of the products you listed and like them all OK.

I wax my car about every month and a half to two months and the Gold Class wax holds up for that long here in Oregon. I've used the Quik Detailer once, but probably won't again because I don't have time for 'in between' waxings--but I guess it did its job.

I would recommend an absorbent microfiber towel for drying. Also, not sure how much black plastic is on your car, but I use the Meguiars Trim Detailer on the rocker panels and rear bumper guard of my 2010-changes them from gray back to black.

I used the ScratchX last weekend for the first time and removed two paint scrapes pretty easily.
I prefer to dry the Forester with a 100% sheepskin chamois. I use Meguiar's cleaner wax-works well. I'll look around for the trim detailer as the rocker panels need a good cleaning/shine.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts