Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of having my hood,scoop,mirrors and maybe between the roof rails in carbon fiber? or maybe just the hood and mirrors?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Im all for people customizing their own cars.....but if you look in the rice section, it seems its easy to call a honda with some fake carbon fiber pieces a ricer....its either rice or not rice. If it looks good to you than do it!:icon_wink:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
I did my B-Pillar, C-Pillar, rear garnish, and the middle section on the roof rails and I love it. I didn't like the quality of the wrap samples anybody could do on the mirrors, but everything else has turned out great!

I also threw on the CF hood scoop (actual CF). Personally I like the contrast between it and the rest of the hood. And I've seen an RS with CF hood and trunk, but body colored scoop and spoiler. So I'd do one or the other (scoop or hood) but not both. Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 FXT 4EAT
86 Posts
Using it instead of paint as a non-permanent design is acceptable, doing it to pretend you've actually got carbon fiber pieces is the definition of both Poser and Ricer.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
I was thinking of having my hood,scoop,mirrors and maybe between the roof rails in carbon fiber? or maybe just the hood and mirrors?
ive got a 4foot x 2foot section of 3m carbon fiber vinyl wrap here getting ready to wrap some stuff. I am prolly going to do my console, hood sccop delete, gauge cluster and somd other stuff if ive got any left over

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
Using it instead of paint as a non-permanent design is acceptable, doing it to pretend you've actually got carbon fiber pieces is the definition of both Poser and Ricer.
Poser? Ricer? Maybe if you think that vinyl makes your car faster, then yes. But what's wrong with wanting the CF look without the CF $price tag?

Don't get me wrong, given the option, I'll go real CF EVERY time (many of my parts are). But on a Forester parts are hard enough to source as is, one off pieces are expensive, and I don't have the skill/knowledge to make the pieces myself. Also, if it is CF vinyl, I say so right up front. Playin' it off as real would be SUPER poser I agree.

Given the above, I think it's a great alternative. Especially when you consider the even higher cost of paint or real CF parts, then "Oh, I don't really like that." then re-paint.

·
Registered
2010 FXT 4EAT
86 Posts
I guess to me I'm not a huge fan of the way carbon fiber looks. It's always been a ******** thing, to be able to say you're that baller that you can afford it if anything. And to me the look isn't worth it if the weight loss isn't there to match.

Personally all the carbon fiber on my cars is actually carbon fiber. Hell there have been a number of times I've considered painting the carbon fiber on my car to match the body color, but now that I have a sort of black and blue theme going with it I'm not sure I'm going to. Originally I didn't paint it because I was too cheap to bother.

And trust me, this isn't coming from someone who's averse to carbon fiber or vinyl, just not a fan of carbon looking vinyl.

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys I may just do the mirrors and see how it looks?

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
I'm thinking of doing my roof white for the summer. Where do you get this stuff in a sheet that big?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
So, my car got hailed out in that recent Montana Tornado, so since I need paint anyway, I think I'll try painting all the above mentioned parts. We'll see how it looks I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts