Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sirwilliam said:
Too low for me, yes...for you, not sure.

You just want to make sure your tires will not be rubbing...what size tire are you running right now w/ your 17s?
215/50's

I am just looking for a fairly cheap way to upgrade my forester suspension as the power/handeling ration is getting bad, and it will only get worse whe i get my vf39

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
FXT said:
215/50's

I am just looking for a fairly cheap way to upgrade my forester suspension as the power/handeling ration is getting bad, and it will only get worse whe i get my vf39
If you are going to go that low I would recommend something closer to what the WRX/STIs are running like 225/45/17 which will give you a little bit stiffer sidewall w/ a slightly lower profile for better handling...It shouldn't but not positive if your 215/50 will rub or not w/ that setup you are looking at.

215/50 = 107.5 height
225/45 = 101.25 height

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
I think that will be a killer street setup. Less strut travel will really help reduce the "boat" feeling. The progress springs drop the WRX 1.8"/1.5" Front/Rear which most likely drop the Forester approximately 4" all around. RoundtheBend has his XT dropped 4" all around and it looks really good. Expect a significant decrease in ride quality and functionality with this setup. But if increase handling is your goal, this is gold.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I prefer having the top of tire to wheel well distance at least as great as the distance from the tire to wheel well measured horizontally.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Ive never really understood why people lower their foresters, is there really that significant of an improvement to justify doing it? Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought lowered foresters look kinda akward.

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Eurgiez said:
Ive never really understood why people lower their foresters, is there really that significant of an improvement to justify doing it? Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought lowered foresters look kinda akward.
Foresters are hindered by a high center of gravity like all SUV/Wagons. By lowering the car you are lowering the center of gravity for better handling on road and in the twisties.

Myself, I like the lowered look. But it is whatever floats your boat or makes you happy. Of course by lowering the car you are inhibiting the offroad capabilities...but if you never go offroad then you don't really need the ground clearance unless you live somewhere like the artic circle that gets a lot of snow.;)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eurgiez said:
Well with a vf39 the stock supension is completely dangerous. You need to have a balanced car which includes power, breaking, and handeling. The suspension was even a bit soft with stock power, but now that I am stage 2 and about to be stage 3, its getting dangerous.

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
FXT said:
Well with a vf39 the stock supension is completely dangerous. You need to have a balanced car which includes power, breaking, and handeling. The suspension was even a bit soft with stock power, but now that I am stage 2 and about to be stage 3, its getting dangerous.
Haha. It's not completely dangerous, just not made for the power increase. I have been on stock setup w/ the STi swap for 10K now...but you definitely want to improve the suspension and braking.;)

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
From reading Subaru Motorsports threads all over, there is a point (when the control arm is level to the ground) when beyond that handling gets worse. The 4" drop FXT should be checked for this???

I agree there needs to be balance in HP/Brakes/Suspension Mods, but driver skill is often overlooked. I recommend a Spring Evolution class, it's a meager $300, but worth ten times that in mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts