Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on CL sounded too good to be true, but bear in mind I have only seen the car and I don't know the mileage.

2005 SUBARU FORRESTER

It is fairly clean, definitely had a pet lover, not a smoker though. Under the hood looks like it was never opened, kind of scary but then a lot of subies are owned by old people that only get regular oil changes. Lots of rust on knuckles, brakes, exhaust, a few other parts here and there. A sticker on the window suggests it is from Peterborough. Although lots of rust the actual unibody is very clean and no rust that I seen on anything that isn't replaceable.

Checked under the tire and rear covers, it is very clean, show room clean. I saw it earlier today when the dealer was closed, my favorite time to shop. My concerns are that other stuff on the engine may need to be replaced due to rust/corrosion I saw the Power steering reservoir was rusting pretty good, and a few odds and ends on the engine, but again the unibody is nearly spotless. Is that normal?

Other thing I am concerned with is the chance of it being a flood car, would carfax show this? What are other tell tale signs, it didn't smell moldy at all, and interior is black but no spots/rust that I seen inside.

What should I look for on the test drive as far as the turbo and engine and tranny go? How should the engine feel? I have never driven a turbo so not sure what the boost should feel like when it is building.

Any other advice? For the price if mileage isn't astronomical I have a perfectly rust free car that I can swap parts off of, or just pick them up as I address the maintenance on it.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
71 Posts
How many miles? Any maintenance history? The prices seem good compared to what I'm use to seeing in my area. A Carfax will show flood damage if it was reported, i.e if somebody collected insurance for the damage or it was repaired someplace who reports to Carfax.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like theprice too for sure. I am going to try to go by tomorrow to check it out closer and hopefully hear it start up cold. There is a lot under the hood I am not familiar with since it is a turbo.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Salesman claims 150k on it but it has a slight miss that they havent gotten around to fixing yet. What are the odds on that miss being a major repair like a piston or ring issue? If I test it out anything to watch out for that would indicate a major issue.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I went and looked at it, heard it run, good news is it is quieter than my 03 on startup, no knocking whatsoever. bad news is it looks like rust has pretty well eaten the better part of all the turbo piping. Which on its own was not a deal breaker, but it also has 195k miles not 150k.

I am not so sure about sinking 5k into buying it and then who knows what into service that will be needed soon. The dealer is confident it will last forever, lol! Call me a pessimist but I have my doubts. I figured I would be better off finding a good condition average miler and paying more for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts