Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a photo of the upper display panel of my 2019 Forester Touring, above the rear-view mirror:

The two icons indicated by the white arrows are pushable buttons, but I can't figure out what they are supposed to do. They are always in that "OFF" configuration, as shown. Pushing the buttons has no effect on anything I can perceive. The icons are similar to those for the Blind Spot Detection/Rear Cross Traffic Alert functions, but the status of those appears on the dash panel and they seem to be working normally.

Does anyone know what these buttons indicate, and what they are supposed to do?

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
They are the Lane Departure Warning OFF Switch and the Pre-Collision Braking System OFF Switch. They do work (or should, of course) but aren't an instant push. They have to be pushed and held for two seconds. So just a simple push won't change the settings or result in any changes appearing on the dash displays, etc. See Page 6 of the Eyesight Driver Assist Technology Quick Guide 2019. (Probably in a couple of other manuals, too.)

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
637 Posts
Pre-Collision Braking System OFF
Just a note that normally I leave this system in its default ON state, but a few times a week when we are carrying fragile stuff in the car, I turn the pre-collision braking off because there are a lot of false positives. We do the same in my wife's car (Lexus) if we are carrying fragile stuff. My brother has a Porsche and he turns it off often too, because of too many false positives.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
18 Posts
The Left button turns off power to the lane keeping assist system. The button on the steering wheel turns off the steering assist, but does not disable the beeping and indicator on the display. Using the overhead button will disable both the stering assist and beeping/display.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are the Lane Departure Warning OFF Switch and the Pre-Collision Braking System OFF Switch. They do work (or should, of course) but aren't an instant push. They have to be pushed and held for two seconds. So just a simple push won't change the settings or result in any changes appearing on the dash displays, etc. See Page 6 of the Eyesight Driver Assist Technology Quick Guide 2019. (Probably in a couple of other manuals, too.)
Thanks to you and the others for answering my question. Clearly, reading the Owner's Manual alone is not sufficient.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
The Owner's Manual probably has it but it can be rather hard to decipher at times. As to false positives, etc., I've only had a couple of the systems' sorts of alerts so not sure what I actually have on or may have turned off in my fumbling around. I've only had it a week so haven't spent a lot of time sitting in the driveway with the manuals yet. I'm just happy I've found out the ACC "switch" position and getting the map lights on with the door open. It took me three days or so to figure out how to lock the doors with the fob in my pocket to not have to get it out and press the button.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It took me three days or so to figure out how to lock the doors with the fob in my pocket to not have to get it out and press the button.
Okay, how do you do that?

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
Yeah, I thought it was a little strange (but not completely unlikely) that there would be keyless entry but you'd need a key or to use the fob to lock it up. How I found out was a Google search on "locking keyless Subaru without using button" or something like that and found an answer in the "Outback" forum. Turns out they are similar and there is a touch sensor on the door handle. On the Forester it looks like two little bars about an inch long at the front end of the handle. Pressing that will lock it.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I had read that in some obscure part of the Owner's Manual, and then forgotten it. Thanks for the refresher.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Subyguy9 The salesman spent quite a bit of time going over the features, but there are a LOT of gadgets and buttons on this car.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
158 Posts
I dont get the blue light on the overhead, it doesnt light the sunglass holder since it blocks it, and its not strong enough to light anything up. I wonder what's the purpose of it?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru
124 Posts
@17FozzieXT Maplight for nighttime. It's dim to protect your night vision, for when you're driving in BFE with no street lights/ambient lighting, so that you can find stuff inside the car.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
My guy spent plenty of time, too. OTOH, I'm a little hard of hearing and some things he explained, my wife remembered and I didn't, or just didn't hear clearly.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
Yup. Things like, "He told you about the fog lights right after he showed you the ..." and things like that. He's pointing things out (from the right seat and my bad side) and I'm still looking,, she was sitting in the back seat, had a different view, hears better, etc. Apparently wives always hear better. Or I don't listen. She says that a lot, too. Hmmh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts