Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a 2005 FXTl with 190,000 miles on it and want to get the ride in decent shape.

I have decided to replace the struts with new WRX and some WRX springs I found on this forum.

My question is should I go ahead and replace the rest? My gut felling is I should because of the milage. (But my wallet says otherwise)

Here is a list of the things that could possibly be worn out. I am not sure which ones I MUST replace. And am not sure which ones should be replace to "match" the WRX springs and struts.

Please comment on it and make suggestions.

Front/Rear-stabilizer link
Front/Rear-stabilizer bar bushing
Front-Ball Joint
Front-Control Arm Rear Bushing
Rear-Trailing Arm Bushing (front & rear)
Rear-Lateral Arm Bushing Front (inner & outer)
Rear-Lateral Arm Bushing Rear (inner & outer)
Rack and Pinion

Hobs

·
Registered
2005 600whp forester group N Sti 6 speed
434 Posts
A good place to start would be the tie rod ends and ball joints, as well as the end links. At your mileage pretty much everything will be worn but doing those things will help you at least keep your steering and alignment geometry in line better regardless of what else you replace

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Ball joints would definitely be worth doing. Then inspect everything else and replace as and when required… you may find that some of them have already been replaced at some point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys,

I looked up ALL the parts on SubaruPartsDepot.com and the total for everything is $550.00.

My buddy and I can install them.

They are all OEM, but should I get some non-OEM stuff.

I know its not as good but Im not keeping the car forever.

Hobs

Here are some picks.....

·
Registered
2007 Sports 2.5XT 5MT
66 Posts
I'd recommend checking the bushings and mounts too. They obviously aren't quite the same category as the parts you have listed, but there's a ton of slop in the drivetrain and chassis, and I felt like that made the car still feels somewhat disconnected even with the suspension is in good shape. And, chances are, some of those are due for replacement because they tend to degrade.

- dogbone
- diff carrier mounts
- subframe bushings front and rear
- trans mount
- shifter bushings
- steering rack bushings

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Are you planning on lowering the car or staying at stock height? If you are lowering it, I would consider the Whiteline Roll Center adjustment kit, it will replace your tie-rod ends and control arm ball joints.

Stan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just had the Subaru Service Center do a full suspension and under-body inspection. The tech said that only the Struts were soft. (not even leaking)

I am planning on going forward with the swap to the WRX struts and shocks, but will be leaving everything else alone.

Hobs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts