Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
My first Forester question. Even though it's summer, my wife wants me to start getting prepared to store her 2019 Forester for 6 months over this winter. This will be in West Yellowstone, MT. Winter time temp's can drop to -40f outside in the winter (I don't know how cold the garage will get). The car will be stored in an unheated garage attached to an unheated house. Last winter, I stored my Honda ST1300 motorcycle in the garage successfully and prepared it as follows: oil change, filled with alcohol free fuel with Stabil, charged and disconnected the battery, and aired up the tires.

So what, if anything, should I do differently for the Subaru? I'm considering some kind of thermostatically controlled block heater and battery blanket. I searched the forum and read of a concern of leaving the battery disconnected for long term so thought of adding a Battery Tender trickle charger. My google fu must be weak because that was about all I found as far as concerns. I read the index in the owner's encyclopedia, er, manual and didn't find anything there either.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Why not just remove the battery and take it with you?

You can buy fogging oil to protect cylinders, pistons rings.

I would skip the block heater for the duration and just warm up the garage when ready.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
Wash it thoroughly inside and out. Park it with a full fuel tank. Take the battery out. Put it up on 4x jack stands so tires don't flat spot. Bring tires into the basement of your house if you can, but not a major deal to leave them out (just not in the sun or the wet). Check coolant concentration. Oil in the cylinders isn't a bad idea, but probably not necessary. I'm not sure it works, but I like parking the engine hot, bringing the RPM up to 3/4 of redline, and then turning the key off, so fuel flow stops immediately and it has all the revolutions spinning down to clear the system out with regular air. If you hit a warm day, (around 0c or 32f) go out and start it up and let the coolant come up to normal temp.

I hope you heat the house a little bit or you're in for a nasty plumbing surprise in spring.

-Manitoba resident with a summer-only BMW.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Litter the garage with mouse,rat traps and put bait stations outside the garage. Bait inside might just draw them in(what you don't want).

Get strychnine based bait for best kill.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
Oh yeah, speaking of rodent control, I've also tried new dryer sheets (like for laundry) laid out in a closed perimeter around the car, maybe a foot away from the shadow of the car. Not good for windy parking spots though!

·
Registered
2019 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hope you heat the house a little bit or you're in for a nasty plumbing surprise in spring.

-Manitoba resident with a summer-only BMW.
Winterizing the house includes draining water heater and pressure tank, and blowing out all water lines. Antifreeze in all traps. Been doing that for 6 winters with no problems. 8^)

So removing the battery for 6 months won't mess up the immobilizer? My KTM motorcycle has an immobilizer and has caused owners (including me) no end of problems.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I have read too many horror stories of vehicles with thousands of $$$$ damage due to Mickey Mouse and Rodney Rat.

Physical barriers- no gaps greater than 1/4 inch going into garage- help deter the invasion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I fill up with 10% ethenol gas like normal, hook up my battery tender and go south. Nine years and no problems. Make sure it's a battery tender and not a trickle charger.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,215 Posts
What is likely is the seals on the air conditioner will take a "set" and freon/oil will escape. Not good to not run the A/C (defrost) for months at a time. Should be run 10 minutes every 3 weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts