Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 forester xs and i just want to have a nice sounding exhaust system. I just dont know were to go or how to get started. Ive already looked on line a million times and cant find anything.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Just a note: because you own a USDM 05 XS, your engine is a 2.5L, not 2.0L.

There are a few options:
-Stromung
-OBX (search for 2.5rs, obx on ebay)
-Custom (any exhaust shop can make one from scratch for you)
-Magnaflow muffler and custom piping.
-An exhaust made for the turbo Foresters, Imprezas, or Legacies with a bit of modding to accomodate the differences in flanges.

RS25.com is also a good source of NA information.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,085 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do u know about how much doing it custom would be?
i found some on ebay but they say for 03 to 04 so it wouldnt work would it?

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
do u know about how much doing it custom would be?
i found some on ebay but they say for 03 to 04 so it wouldnt work would it?
98-05 X, XS, LL Bean share the same exhaust.

Custom work cost depends if you just want an axleback, a catback, or a full headerback

Also Bobby, exhausts sound different on NAs from how they sound on a turbo car. The exhaust flow on an NA is much more powerful than a flow through turbo exhaust, so it would be louder on the NA and the flanges would affect rasp and rattle. Corrections can be made with equal diameter piping from header to muffler, the resonator, and also by adjusting some of the bends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 forester xs and i just want to have a nice sounding exhaust system. I just dont know were to go or how to get started. Ive already looked on line a million times and cant find anything.

I suggest a good soft sound by using the magnaflows exhaust. It is effective. And it is annoying to ou ears.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would going with the stomung intermediate pipe and single muffler tip be a good choice?

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
It seems to be the popular desire, as Stromung is said to sound really good (Roo has it on his SF, which has a similar engine and exhaust setup as us SGs) but it is too expensive for a lot of people and Stromung is mild steel I believe, which can rust easily. I'm not sure if they switched to stainless, but if they did, then it would last longer. But yeah, Stromung supposedly sounds quite nice and comes in Forester fitment too.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im such a noob with all this stuff so what parts would i need in general then

1 - 10 of 10 Posts