Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 583 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it is interesting to see what vehicle you got rid of before getting your Forester. Please post make, model and reason you moved on (if you wish to elaborate). Note, this thread is open to all, not just recent purchases.

Here's mine-2014 Ram 1500 Limited crew-cab pick-up with Ecodiesel engine, great truck, completely problem free for 72k miles, but it was too big. Hard to park and it took up too much space in the driveway, especially now that we have another driver and vehicle with my daughter driving now.

·
Super Moderator
17,718 Posts
My pre-Forester car was a Plymouth Neon. It suffered a sudden death from timing belt failure in December 2002, as I was on the way to an office Christmas party.

We were then living in Maryland but had bought our house in New Hampshire with plans to retire there. I knew we would need something that could handle New England winters, and I had heard a lot about Subarus.

It lived up to our expectations. And the experience gave me an appreciation of the consequences of timing belt failure.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
2011 RAV4, happy with it (except for high road noise), but wife belatedly learned that she could not find a comfortable driving position.

·
Registered
19 Posts
New 2015 Forester replaced a 1998 Ford Taurus totaled out by a deer. It only had 110,000 miles on it. Then I took my wife's 05 Escape as a daily driver until the frame rusted out. Replaced that with a 17 Crosstrek.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My '17 Touring replaced a '12 Xterra Pro-4x..

I thought i 'needed/wanted' a real 4x4, but realized I really never used it to its potential.. Couple other things came into play 1) wife taking a new job 40 miles farther away (round trip), I work from home and have a work car when i do travel. 2) going from 17-18 mpg to +29 (see #1 )//

So the wife is now splitting her drive between her car and the Forester to keep mileage somewhat equal between them.

Brian

·
admin
6,676 Posts
My Forester replaced a 02 WRX wagon.
Which replaced a 2001 Forester
Which replaced a 1998 Forester that my wife drives today.
We sold her 1998 Forester. We had two 1998 white Foresters.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
My '17 FXTT replaced a '16 CVT WRX with EyeSight. Although I liked it for many reasons it couldn't handle deep snow nor get me everywhere I wanted to go... both because of ground clearance.

But it wasn't chosen in a vacuum, the '14 FXTT and '12 and '14 NA Foresters my wife had proved to me the virtues of the Forester.

I could not be happier. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned, and after years of moving from one model to another I finally foresee a long future enjoying this great and totally satisfying little CUV.

·
Registered
335 Posts
the wifes 16 2.5i replaced a 2004 ford F350 (extended cab,long box,7.0L v10 4x4 farm truck) reason? the payment on a car note to buy a new foz was less than it cost her in fuel to daily drive the truck, since she was no longer working on the farm...

my 2003 replaces a tired and gas guzzling 96 dodge dakota 5.2L v8 truck as daily driver (still have the truck) and he w can you argue when you have a total of $750 invested in the car?! $350 purchase price, $150 transmission, $150 2 yr registration/title fees and $100 in misc add ons so far...

·
Registered
2 Posts
A 2017 2.5i Pemium in Quartz Blue Pearl, replaced a 2008 X Premium in Steel Gray. Both purchased new.

Replaced because it was time... and replaced with an updated version, because I enjoyed the utility and abilities of the last one so much.

·
Registered
220 Posts
my 14 replaced a money groping,gas guzzling,rusting out 95 f150. the difference in mpg's saved me just about one weeks car payment every month. could'nt be happier.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 2017 FXT replaced a 2012 Hyundai sonata 2.0T which was the worst car I ever owned, and I've owned a few pieces of shiz when I was younger. It replaced my 2004 STi, the best performing car I've ever owned. The Forester is a great family hauler and I'm glad to be back with Subaru.

Looking forward to getting the Ascent for my wife if the offering is competitive to complete our family haulers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Our 2015 2.5 Premium replaced three cars, 2012 Chevy Impala (9C1), 2010 Volvo S40, and a 2007 Honda Civic Coupe.

My wife was diagnosed with early onset dementia and the doctors obviously didn't want her driving anymore. They suggested getting rid of almost all vehicle options and getting a car with what she wanted to make it an easier transition (joint sacrifice).

It was between the Forester and an "E class" Mercedes...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I sold a 2002 Ford Expedition 6 months before moving to CO in 2015 and we just had the 2006 trailblazer my wife drove. A year after being up here we got her the Forester and I took over the TB with 215k on it. The 4 wheel drive went out at the start of this winter so it's been tricky for me! When it dies I'll get myself a Forester or get her a new one depending on how much I end up doing to this one between now and then. I get it on weekends!

Sent from me to you magically through thin air.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
I bought my 1st Subaru in 2000, it was a 2001 2.5 RX Liberty AWD, I had it for 2 years and traded it on a 2003 2.5 XS Forester AWD.

Sadly after 13 years of owning the Forester, Subaru had lost it's appeal for me, the worst being the introduction of the CVT and limitation of the 6MT across the range.

1 - 20 of 583 Posts