Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1921 - 1940 of 18463 Posts

· SF.org Hero
04 FXTi 5MT
644 Posts
Tackled the spark plugs - wasn't so bad actually, but not cake either.

Replaced the brake fluid with Super Blue

Replaced the drivers side head lamp with a new one that hopefully won't fog and found a gerry-rigged wiring job/ no harness. Replaced with a new harness.

· Registered
05 FXS 5MT, 07 STi limited SWP, 06 FXT 6MT (sold)
2,105 Posts
Replaced valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals, PCV valve, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, plug wires and did an oil and filter change.
Hey how hard is it to replace the valve cover gaskets? I have a leak in one of mine :(. Also, are the cams right there when you take the covers off? I could replace with the Rallitek ones...

Had a field day with my Forester last week:

2 12" Digital Designs subs powered through 650w Audison amp

uh, holy. holy. This brand is gold.

WRX rear sway bar

It's great, but it's resting on the exhaust pipe and the endlinks totally look like they're in the wrong spot...do I need WRX endlinks too?

Snow tires!

225/60/16 cooper weather masters

Outback size...oh well. They were too cheap to say no.

Oil change

10w30 royal purple...pretty cool I guess, the oil really is purple. I've always used synthetic though, so I didn't notice much of a difference from my usual Valvoline.

WRX shift knob

Wow...this shifter feels just awesome in my hand! Looks great, feels fantastic, best 20 bucks I ever spent. Next to the sway bar?

Erich

· Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
26,694 Posts
Tackled the spark plugs - wasn't so bad actually, but not cake either.

Replaced the brake fluid with Super Blue

Replaced the drivers side head lamp with a new one that hopefully won't fog and found a gerry-rigged wiring job/ no harness. Replaced with a new harness.
How do you like the brake fluid? Better petal feel?

· SF.org Hero
04 FXTi 5MT
644 Posts
How do you like the brake fluid? Better petal feel?
Yes, it is noticeable. The pedal feels a little bit firmer, but it's nothing earth shattering. I am still on the stock brake lines and I am sure a more noticeable difference would come with braided lines as well. Overall, I would recommend doing it on your next flush.

I just happened to be working on the car and wanted to flush the brake lines and the Super Blue was available.

· Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
830 Posts
Installed a GTspec lower rear brace, washed it, cleaned out the inside, ran some errands and watched it get covered in snow that undoubtably was caused by my earlier washing.

· Registered
2018 XT & 2010 X
2,123 Posts
Hey how hard is it to replace the valve cover gaskets? I have a leak in one of mine :(. Also, are the cams right there when you take the covers off? I could replace with the Rallitek ones...

Erich
What do you drive (NA or turbo)?

I JUST replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket set tonight myself. Hope this fixes the oil leak, as I did not pull out the little half-moon plastic pieces from the head and re-RTV them.

It took close to 3 hours but that included coming inside to look things up a few times...like the half-moon pieces which I didn't expect, and what to do about the crimped hose connector (ended up replacing it with a hose clamp). The dealer said it would be 1.5 hours of labor, I figured 2 for myself having never done it, and could have pulled it off in 2 if I had stuck with it. Having hands that aren't that big helped because that's the hard part, getting in there to get the bolts off. Not hard, just a little tedious. Shallow socket and a wrench for a couple of them.

All this is on an XT. Similar job for an NA (did that before too).

EDIT: as for cams, you'd have to do a full timing belt job too, eh.

· Registered
05 FXS 5MT, 07 STi limited SWP, 06 FXT 6MT (sold)
2,105 Posts
What do you drive (NA or turbo)?

I JUST replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket set tonight myself. Hope this fixes the oil leak, as I did not pull out the little half-moon plastic pieces from the head and re-RTV them.

It took close to 3 hours but that included coming inside to look things up a few times...like the half-moon pieces which I didn't expect, and what to do about the crimped hose connector (ended up replacing it with a hose clamp). The dealer said it would be 1.5 hours of labor, I figured 2 for myself having never done it, and could have pulled it off in 2 if I had stuck with it. Having hands that aren't that big helped because that's the hard part, getting in there to get the bolts off. Not hard, just a little tedious. Shallow socket and a wrench for a couple of them.

All this is on an XT. Similar job for an NA (did that before too).

EDIT: as for cams, you'd have to do a full timing belt job too, eh.
I have an N/A 02. Thanks for this, I haven't spent any time at all looking at the job because I just found this leak.

And hmmm, my car is at 184xxx, I'm gonna have to do the timing belt fairly soon anyway...

· Registered
2005 FXT 5 spd
251 Posts
It wasn't today but a few days ago, I put on my Cobb catback section and now have a full Cobb TB. Only took about twice as long as most folks say it should, so I was happy. :banana: It normally takes me 3-4 times as long...

Unexpected side benefit - My shifting has been much smoother (especially 1-2!) as I can now hear what the engine is doing.

1921 - 1940 of 18463 Posts