Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
18281 - 18300 of 18370 Posts

· Registered
1999 Forester Green beater with AC
90 Posts
Today my Fuel Pump Assembly came in to the stealership. So I put the new assembly into my 99 forester and it fired right up. Power restored. It is fairly easy to replace. Just need to buy some replacement clips for the back interior things and it will be good.

· Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
220 Posts
Had a ton of trouble getting my 2011 to go into programming mode for the keyless remote, which was weird as I have previously done it with no problems in the past. After trying the same thing over and over I thought about it a bit, reread the manual, and saw how part of it involving removing the key from the ignition cylinder when done. A few years ago, the key sensor that detects of the key is in the ignition failed and stuck closed (a pretty common Subaru problem) so I had unplugged it and had no problems since then. Once I plugged that sensor back in I could successfully enter programming mode and program the remotes, though at the end I had to unplug it to “finish” the process, and I left it unplugged because of all of the various problems a broken sensor like that causes. I replaced my keyless entry unit because I was getting intermittent TPMS disconnections and all the sensors are new, and the car usually wouldn’t respond to the remote unlock when remote start was active. Yet to repair the TPMS sensors but the remote start issue was fixed.

speaking of remote start, recently the immobilized module in the remote start system was failing to broadcast the signal to disable the ecu lock during remote start. I removed the offending box, disassembled it, tested the pins and circuit board for continuity, then soaked it in MAF cleaner. After reassembling it works good as new, but we will see how long that lasts, hopefully through the winter at least. Seems to be another common Subaru problem, but at least, like with the key sensor, there are free fixes for them

· Registered
2021 Forester Touring (Canadian version)
428 Posts
I've been using a battery conditioner on my 2021 SK since I got it. Don't drive a lot and with stories of these batteries being under-powered, figured I would just save some money in the long term. I hardwired the wire from the conditioner through the grill, ending at the plug with the rubber weather cap but didn't like this very much. So decided to just take it one step further and mount an actual waterproof plug, in the fog light trim. Very happy with it. The plug is very small and isn't really noticeable.
Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Bumper

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Electric blue Circle

· Registered
2021 Forester Sport
145 Posts
Took advantage of Black Friday and purchased the Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 and Dongar adapter. Installed in less than 30 minutes. Easy if you have the auto dimming mirror option.

· Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
2,381 Posts
Last year after the brake light switch replacement I was getting the trio of dash lights on long trips. Dealership could find nothing wrong. Today I replaced the gas cap. I noticed right away that the cap now hooks easily on the gas fill door. It seems the old gas cap was worn. Possibly at the threads. We’ll see what happens.

I also replaced the radiator cap and oil cap gasket.

· Registered
2020 Forester 2.5i-S (Touring)
347 Posts
I've been using a battery conditioner on my 2021 SK since I got it. Don't drive a lot and with stories of these batteries being under-powered, figured I would just save some money in the long term. I hardwired the wire from the conditioner through the grill, ending at the plug with the rubber weather cap but didn't like this very much. So decided to just take it one step further and mount an actual waterproof plug, in the fog light trim. Very happy with it. The plug is very small and isn't really noticeable. View attachment 576153
View attachment 576152
View attachment 576154
Great idea, I also use a Ctek charger plugged in most days, however, it's not ideal and this idea will help heaps.

Sick of Aussie retailers not having most things, could not find one Aussie seller with this plug OR anything similar despite them being very common as they are made in China.

Got one from Amazon AU that is being shipped from the USA, they are only a few dollars on Aliexpress, but delivery is way too long.

I paid $20.00AU

Now I wait a month and then complete the install, thanks' again.

· Premium Member
2011 Forester X Premium AT
309 Posts
Installed the "$5 Fix" on a 2011 Forester. I've been getting the P0420 code and have replaced every applicable part other than the catalytic converter, but continue to get P0420 every 15-30 miles. The kicker is that the car passes emissions just fine despite getting the P0420 code. Since I'm not ready to drop a few thousand $ to replace a catalytic converter that is still functioning within emissions limits, I did the $5 spark plug defouler fix to stop the CEL since it also disables traction control and cruise control. Have put 80 miles on the car and so far no CEL.
Removed the spacers and returned the rear O2 sensor to its original configuration this morning.

It turns out that this fix doesn't work on a 2011 Forester. It sounds like post 2005 models use the rear O2 sensor to adjust fuel trim. I started getting a P2096 lean fuel mixure CEL after 300 miles and every 50 miles thereafter. I also lost 6mpg due to incorrect fuel mixture. Taking the Forester to an exhaust shop this week to get a diagnosis.

· Registered
428 Posts
Great idea, I also use a Ctek charger plugged in most days, however, it's not ideal and this idea will help heaps.

Sick of Aussie retailers not having most things, could not find one Aussie seller with this plug OR anything similar despite them being very common as they are made in China.

Got one from Amazon AU that is being shipped from the USA, they are only a few dollars on Aliexpress, but delivery is way too long.

I paid $20.00AU

Now I wait a month and then complete the install, thanks' again.
Great!. The trickiest part to this whole install was doing the soldering. Found it awkward to hold the fog light cover at the right height and then try to fit in the wires into the plug to solder. After that I used heat shrink tubing over each wire and then larger heatshrink over both wires. In retrospect I think that I would have left the wires coming from battery longer OR start at the fog light cover and thread the wires back to the battery, which I should have done.

· Registered
347 Posts
Great!. The trickiest part to this whole install was doing the soldering. Found it awkward to hold the fog light cover at the right height and then try to fit in the wires into the plug to solder. After that I used heat shrink tubing over each wire and then larger heatshrink over both wires. In retrospect I think that I would have left the wires coming from battery longer OR start at the fog light cover and thread the wires back to the battery, which I should have done.
I have bought the Ctek extension cable 2.5Meters long.

I will use the extension cable by cutting it in half to utilize the plugs, then I won't have to cut the charger cables, all will be plug and play.

I bought a set of 560 bits of heatshrink from Amazon, this simple exercise has cost me heaps, all up around $70 then again burial shrouds don't have any pockets lol.

· Registered
428 Posts
I have bought the Ctek extension cable 2.5Meters long.

I will use the extension cable by cutting it in half to utilize the plugs, then I won't have to cut the charger cables, all will be plug and play.

I bought a set of 560 bits of heatshrink from Amazon, this simple exercise has cost me heaps, all up around $70 then again burial shrouds don't have any pockets lol.
Yes. I got the extension cable as well. Wow! That is expensive. I think I ordered my heat shrink tubing off eBay for around $5, and the waterproof plug off AliExpress for around $2.50... Sorry. I did have to be patient while it was shipping but now that I've done it, it is totally worth it.

· Registered
347 Posts
Yes. I got the extension cable as well. Wow! That is expensive. I think I ordered my heat shrink tubing off eBay for around $5, and the waterproof plug off AliExpress for around $2.50... Sorry. I did have to be patient while it was shipping but now that I've done it, it is totally worth it.
Forgot, I also bought a C-Tek wall mount, couldn't get that in Australia either, it's coming from USA.

· Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
6,622 Posts
Fixed a 10 year old stone chip on the right front fender. It's finally started showing some corrosion! I had left over primer, paint and clear coat from painting the mirrors.

18281 - 18300 of 18370 Posts