Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
17661 - 17680 of 17681 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
97 Posts
Might be an exaggeration to say I did this all today, but I:
  • removed the dealer sticker off the back of the car (we should get a discount if the dealer uses us for advertising purposes) - hair dryer, dental floss, alcohol
  • recycled the licence plate frames which again had dealer advertising all over them and replaced with some plain black silicone ones that look so much better
  • put in a short (12") right-angled Lightning cable for Apple Car Play. Allows my phone to now sit flat in that space
  • hardwired in a CTEK battery conditioner cable (with extension) so that it sticks out the front grill. Mounted the CTEK unit in the carport. Now I can just plug in the conditioner whenever I need to.
  • built a small wooden platform to fill in that space between the folded down back seat and the front passenger seat so that I can sleep in the car.
  • got a plastic, sealed box that will fit all the manuals that came with the car and put under the passenger seat. Frees up ½ of the glove box now.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
97 Posts
Took delivery of wee stuff for my motor from that bastion of e-commerce that is Aliexpress...
View attachment 554742
El cheapo cargo net.

View attachment 554743
Found the steering wheel a little thinner than I would like, cold and mildly uncomfortable so got this steering wheel cover which is rather well made and feels nice. I usually cringe at covers but this isn't tacky looking (I hope).

KSN
Finally we have something in Canada that you don't have in Australia: a heated steering wheel!

·
Registered
2006 Forester
81 Posts
Clutch service at 196K mi.:
resurfaced the [lightened] fly wheel, installed Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit, and disabled hill holder according to threads found here. I will go back to tried and true method of using the hand brake on a hill stop.

The clutch wear was accelerated when the hill holder failed. That was my second hill holder event, and it was the opposite of the first one, back in February 2017, when the hill holder locked the brakes solid. Hill Holder: a useful idea that should come with the caveat "may fail you without warning when you least expect it".

If anyone is interested in the Exedy Stage 1, it does not take a heavy foot and has a good feel. The increase in the clamping force is apparent and the clutch begins engagement very near the bottom, so one must pedal the clutch to the floor to disengage and raise gently to avoid a sudden lurch. Takes all of two minutes to become accustomed to the difference.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Forester L AT
48 Posts
FINALLY installed the Denso plugs and wires I received a week or two ago. Everything went pretty smoothly except whoever changed plugs and wires prior to me had a creative understanding of cable management which required extra efforts to rectify. Still, all done and D'ottie runs like a beauty with a bit of extra zip.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i 6MT
16 Posts
Getting some Hyperblue WRX seats today for SJ. The WRX was totaled... So i'm thinking is there anything else from the car I should get, like the armrest or rear seats? I know the WRX seatback won't work, but would it worth grabbing the rear bottom bench?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Forester L AT
48 Posts
Installed K&N Air Filter.

Received (Yesterday) third (rear) PIAA wiper, finally.

Ordered replacement Right Headlight and Blinker and cabin air filter from Rock. (both were breached previously. Pinhole in the headlight, cracked out bottom on the blinker.) (Southern Oregon Subaru tried to convince me they had to uninstall the glove box and passenger side dash in order to change the cabin air filter when I took it in for "express" service and so it had to be scheduled in for Service service. They'll not see me again, so it's okay.)

Picked up graphite lock lube for the hatch lock and driver's side door.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
97 Posts
Did the first oil change at 1500km. Installed a Fumoto oil drain and installed the OEM alloy engine guard at the same time. I invested in a set of used ramps last week. Wow after changing my own oil for 40 years, having a ramp is awesome to do anything under the car.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
143 Posts
Put in OEM side cargo nets for the '05. None of the "mushrooms" are exactly where they're supposed to be since all of the tiny drill markings seem to have disappeared over 16 years. Didn't get the seatback net since the back seat is almost always down.
20210726_103933.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Premium
13 Posts
I changed my oil on Sunday, and then "while I was in there," I decided to tackle the rust issue under the battery. A little bit of phosphoric acid treatment, then some random silver paint and a little flat black paint took care of the task. These are the before and after shots of the area. I also repainted my battery hold down bracket.

The silver paint I used is brighter than the factory paint, but it's mostly under the battery tray and not very noticeable. Plus it's what I had on-hand. So far, this rust repair cost me no $$'s but only my time!

17661 - 17680 of 17681 Posts