Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
17621 - 17640 of 17681 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
395 Posts
Not today... But yesterday.. Had the windows tinted. Did a 25% on the front, with 15% in the rear and visor strip on the windshield. Overall came out pretty good, but need to watch a couple spots to see how they look after it dries completely. The AC worked soooooo much better after picking it up!

Before:

After:

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring - silver
51 Posts
Installed side window rain deflectors. I got the OEM’s through Amazon and watched a video of installation. (No instructions were included.). The installer I watched just used the double-sided tape. No clips. They went on fine like that, but when I was cleaning up I found a bag of clips taped to the inside of the box.
The deflectors are very tight and I can’t imagine wind blowing them loose. Besides, taking them off to add the clips would destroy the tape and really make a mess. So I am going to live with them taped on. I’ll post back if there is a problem.
Did I mention that they look really good? Just like in the Amazon photo.
Added one day later:
After watching a video on which the clips were used I realized that I could still put them on. The tape does not have to be removed at all. The key is that the deflectors must have been installed originally at the right height. Mine were, and the clips went on fairly easily. I now feel a lot better about my latest (minor) addition.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
395 Posts
@steve_k May I ask what wheels you have on there?

Sure thing.... Those are Vision Banes. Got them from Discount Tire. Mostly got them because they were are the lower end of the price range since I still might consider doing a dedicated winter tire/wheel combo. So far after 2 winters with the GeoLanders I don't think I will need a dedicated winter set, but just didn't want tie up too much money in to things that will sit in the basement for much of the year.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 6MT
118 Posts
Traded it in for another Subaru. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the new one! Back to red and and turbo for me; unfortunately my 25+ years of having a manual in my daily comes to an end.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,427 Posts
Traded it in for another Subaru. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the new one! Back to red and and turbo for me; unfortunately my 25+ years of having a manual in my daily comes to an end.
Good luck with the new car. I remember some of your posts.

Yeah, I've been driving manuals for a long time, too. Just got rid of my 2001 Sentra with a 5-speed - bought it new. It wasn't worth putting in more time and/or money, but I do miss the stick.

On the other hand, the CVT is nice for urban driving.

Mike

·
Registered
2017 Forester 6MT
118 Posts
Good luck with the new car. I remember some of your posts.

Yeah, I've been driving manuals for a long time, too. Just got rid of my 2001 Sentra with a 5-speed - bought it new. It wasn't worth putting in more time and/or money, but I do miss the stick.

On the other hand, the CVT is nice for urban driving.

Mike
Got an Ascent, and it is a much better highway cruiser/vacation car for a family of four plus camping gear. Was only a matter of time, but had figured on a couple of more years with the Forester. With used car values insanely high, was 90% a fiscal decision.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Forester L AT
48 Posts
Got mine back from the mechanic today. Now purs like a kitten. Rather than list everything done here and everything still needing to be done I'll probably start one of those log things I hear so much about. Happy to have it back though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Took delivery of wee stuff for my motor from that bastion of e-commerce that is Aliexpress...

El cheapo cargo net.

Found the steering wheel a little thinner than I would like, cold and mildly uncomfortable so got this steering wheel cover which is rather well made and feels nice. I usually cringe at covers but this isn't tacky looking (I hope).

KSN

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Forester L AT
48 Posts
D'ottie got all the mechanicin' dust rinsed off. Ordered some new plugs and wires for her from Rock Auto. And started a journal for her on here.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
359 Posts
Yesterday I installed an 8” headunit. I also installed front and rear dashcams. took several hours due to running the cables under the headliner and behind the trim. Still waiting for the OBD power connector, so they are plugged into extensions at the moment.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
1,059 Posts
Finished the LED's for now, found some brighter whites for the backups and pulled the headlights to do the turn signals and running lights. Degreased and detailed the engine bay. Washed and gave it some Meguires ceramic detailer just to hold it over until the rear hubs (Dorman loaded units) get done next Monday. 303's the tires, interior etc. Foud the little chirper that tells you you remote locked it was hanging, I forgot to bolt it back doing the horns I guess, while working on mounting it the connector came off and the pins are green rot with one broken, which explains the weak-sauce gurgle-chirp I get sometimes. One more thing to replace.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XS
4 Posts
Not today... But yesterday.. Had the windows tinted. Did a 25% on the front, with 15% in the rear and visor strip on the windshield. Overall came out pretty good, but need to watch a couple spots to see how they look after it dries completely. The AC worked soooooo much better after picking it up!

Before:
View attachment 554619

After:
View attachment 554620
So you're saying that the AC worked a lot better after tinting your windows? Is it because there's just less sun getting in?

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
143 Posts
Took her in today for a required emissions test.

This is the only required, vehicle inspection in Illinois, and needs to be done every two-years, once a car is five-years old (I think). And it only applies to certain, urban areas.

Having grown up in Long Island, NY, it still seems strange not to have an annual vehicle inspection. When I moved out to this area in the early 1980s, I don't think you even needed car insurance!!
I live in the Metro East within the roughly 20 mile radius (based on zip codes) of downtown STL that requires the biannual test. We're the only place in the state outside of Cook and the Collar Counties that does it. It's kind of a joke compared to the annual tailpipe test and safety inspection we had when I lived in Houston.

At least here in Illinois it's free. When I lived Texas you had to pay twice as much for your inspection in an emissions test county than you did in a rural area.

Illinois has never to my knowledge done safety inspections on passenger cars. They did do them on pickups until the mid '80s because the state considered all trucks as commercial vehicles until that time. Occasionally you'll see a vintage pickup with what's left of its 1984 (pretty sure that was the last year) inspection sticker.

Reactions: subatron

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,427 Posts
Seat back cargo net arrived today, installed...
Heh! Heh! Is that your "emergency router" in the net?

I use something similar in the winter to carry a small shovel and a "Sno Brum." Also use side-nets all of the time, which are usually pretty full.

Mike

17621 - 17640 of 17681 Posts