Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

17541 - 17560 of 17602 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
93 Posts
@FozzieBalou It definitely feels bigger than it is. Biggest complaint is the ride. Great on the highway, but thanks to the 20" rims it's a more than a little rough over potholes and the brick streets in our historic neighborhood.

On the plus side, despite its size the Ascent doesn't feel quite as tipsy as our SJ. The STI RSB mod is looking better all the time.

The dealership gave me the ok to take it out of town for a business trip next week. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,741 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
159 Posts
2014 Subaru Forester - Touring XT

May 6, 2021

The most recent mod to my 2014 Subaru Forester XT Touring is the purchase and installation of the zero-lift sport and overload springs from RalliTek - www.rallitek.com - See specific parts info below.

RalliTEK 0" Front Sport Springs - Forester 2014-2018
Part Number: RTEK-830-812-320
Condition: New
Manufacturer: RalliTEK

RalliTEK 0" Rear Overload Springs - Forester 2014-2018
Part Number: RTEK-830-522-355
Condition: New
Manufacturer: RalliTEK

Rallitek did a great job of packing and delivering the parts. As soon as I ordered I received a confirmation e-mail and when the springs shipped I received a tracking number and was able to see exactly where my order was and when it would arrive. Good job Rallitek.

All four springs arrived in one box, very tightly packed..Since I do not have the tools or garage space or knowledge for installing these parts or the ability to do an alignment I took the springs to my local Subaru dealer in Leesburg VA for the installation. Dulles Motorcars Subaru - www.dullessubaru.com is where I purchased my Subaru and my wife’s Subaru and is where I take both of them for all their service needs. So far I have no complaints with Dulles Subaru and will continue to take my Subaru’s there when service is needed or wanted.

My service advisor Ash listened very carefully to what I wanted and very quickly told me installing all four springs and doing a four-wheel alignment was quite a job and would take four or five hours maybe more. They kindly provided me with a loaner car, and away I went. Later that afternoon Ash called to let me know the job was done and my car was ready for pickup.

In case you are wondering the loaner car was a 2021 Forester Sport with all the options and I have to say it is a very nice ride. Quite comfortable easy to drive and I had no problems keeping up with the morning rush hour traffic.
Returned the loaner car, picked up my car, and took a few minutes to check it over before driving. While the springs are titled zero lift I believe they did do a small lift about one-half inch and in my opinion, the vehicle looks much better. The wheel wells seem to have much more room and when sitting in the vehicle it does appear to be just wee a bit higher. As soon as I got on the road I could feel a difference. The small bumps disappeared and the larger bumps seemed to be very small. The ride is now much firmer but not harsh and after five days of driving and about 250 miles, I see NO decrease in the overall MPG I am getting during my daily driving. Please keep in mind I am the slow lane driver and rarely exceed the speed limit, on rare occasions when I do it is only by five miles per hour or less.

I have a Yakima skybox low mounted on the roof of my Subaru and before I purchased the springs from Rallitek I measured the clearance between the highest point of the skybox low and my garage entrance. According to my measurements, I had about one and a half inches to spare. After the installation of the springs, I only have one inch to spare, which proves my earlier statement about the springs providing a small bit of lift.

What did this mod cost you ask? My total for the springs was $400.00 due to a sale at Rallitek. I did not plan this it was just a happy surprise for me. The installation cost including the four-wheel alignment was just over double at $828 and change and this was after a 20% coupon I had received from Subaru. Which puts my total cost around $1228.00 for the entire mod.
Am I happy with this modification? YES, I AM!!! In my opinion, the vehicle looks better, rides better, feels better when driving and there is no impact to the overall MPG so far and I can still back into my garage. Success all the way around.

The box from Rallitek in the back of my Subaru

The springs in the box, the smaller spring is inside the larger one for shipping.

Two of the four springs still in plastic wrapping.

Right rear spring installed

Left rear spring installed

Front right spring installed. Sorry I did not take a shot of the front left spring installed.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
307 Posts
Yesterday afternoon - Oil change and filter (Pennzoil 0w-20 Platinum Synthetic and Subaru filter), vacuum, wash and wax.

This morning - After the local birds carpet-bombed it last night, I re-washed it. Ugh. Luckily, there was a heavy dew, so it came off easily.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,401 Posts
Things finally worked out today for me to start on spring-cleaning my wife's Forester. Today I washed it, used a clay bar and then put on the first coat of "summer wax." I also scrubbed the floor mats since I had the hose out.

Still need to do all the door, hood and hatch edges and door sills, clean the interior and the engine compartment. If my shoulders and hands don't kill me tomorrow (love getting older) I may continue the project.

Mike

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,113 Posts
Foz will get a new battery today. Left the keys in it last night in the ON position after rolling up the windows at the end of the day. Guess I should count myself lucky, as it looks like the date code on the side of the battery is January 2014. Hoping I can get enough charge on it to make it to the parts store.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
93 Posts
@GMD Looks good! You're lucky to have a dealership willing to install non-OEM, customer supplied parts. A lot of Subie stores wouldn't touch that job for liability reasons.

The dealership we buy from does do lift jobs on Crosstreks, but I'm not sure what else. I want to do the 20mm STI RSB, but I don't have a lot of spare time at home on the weekends.....or a torque wrench!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Obsidian Black Pearl 4EAT 99.7% stock
71 Posts
Spun a bearing, destroyed the bottom end. Absolutely devastated as it happened 2 weeks after timing belt replacement and a full service with new battery and running beautifully. Started hunting for a replacement motor, not going too well as they are so scarce right now here in Australia! Really grown to love this wagon so I think it's worth spending the money on.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
159 Posts
2014 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT Touring, CVT Transmission

Just passed 90,000 miles. Zero major problems with this Subaru.

In honor of passing the 90,000-mile mark, I washed the Subaru did paint cleaning clay, and then applied two coats of Griots Garage Ceramic Wax to include the wheels. This seven-year-old Subaru looks fabulous, drives and rides better than the day I brought it home.

Still getting 30+MPG on my mostly highway commute back and forth to work.

For my last fill-up I had driven 315 miles, the gas pump clicked off at 10.4 gallons, I squeezed in another gallon which puts my MPG between 28.6 and 30.2 for a week's worth of driving.

315 miles / 10.4 gallons = 30.2 MPG or 315 miles / 11.0 gallons = 28.6 MPG

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
4 Posts
Hey Guys,

First time posting on here, so I figured I'd catch everyone up with my 2017 XT Touring and show off a few pics.
  • 56k on it
  • Brake upgrades: steel brake lines, slotted rotors and ceramic hawk pads.
  • Heat wrap on IC
  • 2017 OEM front and rear STI badges
  • Red STI pinstripe on grill and rear bumper
  • Red Top Optima Battery
  • LED Fog lights with Yellow filter wrap
  • LED Reverse lights
That's basically it for its current state. Planning on getting the following mods within the next 6 months: Mishimoto intake and charge pipe, Perrin Turbo Inlet, Turbo XS BOV, Subispeed Axel back exhaust, COBB Access port with tune from Dotson, 2016 STI front caliper upgrade and 2016 STI 18" wheels.

Ill be sure to post pics whenever I do an upgrade. :)

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
218 Posts
Aftermarket I was not willing to spend what Subaru wants for a set of crossbars. Setup was easy enough they equal or exceed the weight of the OEM..so now i have to wait to get the Kayak to let you know how they work..OR if they dont for some reason.
[/Q
Aftermarket I was not willing to spend what Subaru wants for a set of crossbars. Setup was easy enough they equal or exceed the weight of the OEM..so now i have to wait to get the Kayak to let you know how they work..OR if they dont for some reason.
Well decided that im getting a trailer for the Kayak. Its just too big/heavy for me to get up there and not damage the Forester or Kayak over the long run. Already dropped the Kayak slightly while trying to load it and already put a dent on the top of the Forester near the shark fin antenna..and that's using a roller to get it over the spoiler..so.broke down and getting a trailer. The hitch and wiring get installed Monday/tomorrow.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
7 Posts
Today I pushed my Forester to the side of my driveway so I can take a moment to contemplate life choices and the path toward what engine I want to put in it (replaced heads last week and 21 miles later it spun a rod bearing).

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,320 Posts
Replaced exhaust manifold gaskets and muffler gasket and bolts. Getting better gas mileage now. Coincidentally?
May have had a small leak. Rusted gaskets.

I also painted the muffler BBQ black. Replaced 4 brake rotors.

·
Registered
6 subies in, current '02 jdm XT SG Forester
290 Posts
replaced drivers (rhs) speakers, chucked some new clips into the door. pulled up the rear seat to see if I can install the sliding base seats I found at a local u-pick yard. too much effort to put them in, so abandoned that idea. picked up a few bits and pieces of trim, clips, plugs, blanking plugs etc etc from the u-pick yard.

headed up to the electrical parts store, picked up a dpdt switch and 3x 10w 10ohm ceramic resisters, plan is to set up the center dif lock switch and lhs (passengers side) speakers in the morning.

new headunit with reversing cam going in to the dash top navi pocket, picking up headunit monday, center dash being set up as a dual pocket type thing. want to keep it nice and tidy.

tidy-up and reversion to stock plus modernisation nearly complete, mechanical mods to start soon.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
218 Posts
replaced drivers (rhs) speakers, chucked some new clips into the door. pulled up the rear seat to see if I can install the sliding base seats I found at a local u-pick yard. too much effort to put them in, so abandoned that idea. picked up a few bits and pieces of trim, clips, plugs, blanking plugs etc etc from the u-pick yard.

headed up to the electrical parts store, picked up a dpdt switch and 3x 10w 10ohm ceramic resisters, plan is to set up the center dif lock switch and lhs (passengers side) speakers in the morning.

new headunit with reversing cam going in to the dash top navi pocket, picking up headunit monday, center dash being set up as a dual pocket type thing. want to keep it nice and tidy.

tidy-up and reversion to stock plus modernisation nearly complete, mechanical mods to start soon.
Im gonna do this relatively soon. Its sad when the wife who never listens to the radio above volume 10 and she will CRANK it to 11 sometimes for her favorite songs..as we were driving one day in the Forester turned to me and said..wow your stereo system SUCKS....I need to have it on 12-14 just to hear it... cant even understand it (highway noise going 65) at highway noise levels... So sometime here will be upgrading all speakers and probably adding in a small power amp for the stock head unit.

17541 - 17560 of 17602 Posts