Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

17481 - 17500 of 17517 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I noticed a tendency for my '08 Forester to 'burn' oil at Interstate speeds a couple months ago. So, after it turning 180k miles and an oil change in which I purposely left it 1/2 quart low, I added Restore Engine Restorer and drove 60 miles at 75-80 MPH. It's still cooling off, so will see later if this cut oil consumption. It worked in the past on other vehicles.

EDIT: NO oil consumption to speak of, now, after over 300 miles at 75-80 MPH

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
156 Posts
Installed new springs, struts, and spacers. Went with Rallitek pre-assembled +0.5" rear overload springs and
+0.25" front sport springs, both on KYB Excel-G struts. They also installed the 0.5" spacers before shipping. This should give me a 0.75" lift in the front and 1" in the rear, which will more than make up for the bit of lost clearance from my skid plates. Install took 3 hours for the first rear strut (Discovered that the spring had snapped at some point over the past year), and 45 min for the 2nd rear strut. Both front struts took about 35 min each. I wasn't able to torque the front struts down to 115 ft-lbs with the wheels on the ground due to clearance/leverage issues, but I was able to hit 70-90ft lbs. I'm going to get an alignment tomorrow after work and make sure they torque everything down to spec. I'm assuming driving a total of 20 miles before getting the front torqued down won't be the end of the world?

Edit: Also swapped out the winter wheels/tires and put back on the continental terraincontacts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm curious -- total cost, front and rear, for the 'custom' struts?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not cheap. Fronts preassembled were $740/pair and rear were $580/pair. The 0.5" blue strut top spacers were $55. So $1,428 total, but there was also $183 in discounts so the total was $1,245. My justification was that my original struts were at 170,000 miles and I wanted stiffer springs in the rear to combat the series sag I get when carrying camping gear.

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
458 Posts
Not today, but I drove my MY06 Forester for around half an hour on Saturday. Checking the dash cam recordings, I last took it out in May, 2020... :rolleyes:

It's been neglected for so long because it has head gaskets issues and I started it to see if I needed to recharge a replacement battery that has been connected but sitting idle for five weeks.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Auto
37 Posts
Took the ski rack off my 2015. Local ski area shut down last weekend. Before removal picture, you need to have attachments for at least 3 different sports for East TN "winters". 77 degrees yesterday, snow in the forecast for tomorrow morning. An aside, I have right at 700K miles on this Yakima rack setup; it's lasted through 3 different Subarus.

IMG-6500.jpg
IMG-6500.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Installed a Garmin Mini Dash Cam this morning. Ran the wiring up the A-pillar and easily tucked it under the headliner, dropping down right next to the rearview mirror. You can't see the camera at all from the driver seat, and it's pretty inconspicuous from outside as well. It was super easy with two fuse taps and 2amp mini-fuses. Should be fun for seeing deer, elk, and moose crossings, and maybe some forest service trails. I tapped into fuse #1 (trailer brakes) for the constant battery power for Parking Mode, and fuse #20 (cigarette lighter) for accessory power.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
122 Posts
2014 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT Touring, CVT Transmission

Just passed 88000 miles. Zero major problems with this Subaru.

However, I am beginning to have some creaking and groaning noises from the front suspension especially at low speeds when I first start driving.

Beyond this, the vehicle is perfect.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
1,018 Posts
Not today but yesterday my GF said her XV needed a service as it was hesitating, so I jumped into action and checked it out. Might need plugs, its at 60k, I did all major stuff at 30k including all fluids. Brakes likely need pads but weren't terrible, air filter had some debris but see plenty of light thru it, throttle body likely needs a cleaning, clutch is good but typical 2nd gear smidge of studder if revs are low, and oil is good with another 2k before a change.
Today, got up early and drove down to MA to pay my respects to the parents and aunts/uncles at the cemetary. Car drove like a champ and managed 80 at some spots quite smoothly -_-. Cruise stalk was tempermental, gonna replace that. I run the Rev app on an old iphone and had to reset a P01443 code a few days ago so getting miles on her was good for the readiness monitors. After 100 miles all good, so I can get a sticker this week.
Got home and had picked up a quad espresso-cappucino at Starbucks(which I have only done twice in the last year) and once I got home and the caffiene hit, motivated to remove my roof bars. The bolts were stripperoo and EZ-Outs didn't cut it but a hammer worked to wedge them off the roof with zero damage to the racks. They were boogered and looked crappy and I never use them, and plan to paint the roof bars so solid win there. Then ripped all the trunk interior out for a good spring cleaning and detailing which will happen tomorrow. There will be much vacuuming.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,638 Posts
DIY engine oil and filter change at 60,350 miles. Used Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 SP full-synthetic and the blue Subaru filter. I change engine oil every 5k miles so this was the 12th on my 2018.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Today I looked at radiators... More specifically, How to put a dual row WRX rad in a 2015 forester.
Last week I found that my overflow fitting had previously broken and been superglue +RTV back on...
I can't imagine that repair lasting very long so I think I know when/who did it... That's super shady if its true. Anyway, they aint' around to fix it so hotel-side repair it was...
  • I cut a hole in a drink lid and paired it with the overflow hose to suck coolant out of the rad before the repair.
  • I used a q-tip wrapped in some plastic bag to align the fitting and keep the putty out of the hole while it cured.
  • I roughed up the surface with my serrated knife to get a really large and rugged bond area.
  • I twisted the RAD cap on and off before the putty set to create a grove to clear the cap.

1617859173420.png 1617859428777.png 1617859402202.png 1617859214968.png

JB water weld is holding up great, new radiator on the way...

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,638 Posts
Finally got around to rotating my new Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires after 8,900 miles. All four tires are wearing evenly and measured 9/32" tread remaining. I was surprised that the remaining tread on the rears didn't measure more than the fronts. The Wildpeaks seem to be wearing faster than the factory G91's which still had 4/32-5/32" of tread depth after 51,000 miles.

I also noticed a little rust on the inside head of the lug nuts. Threads were clean though. I wonder if my dealer would replace with the improved lug nuts if I presented the following TSB?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
28 Posts
@ForesterBill That’s surprising- mine have the same wear after 25K (one of them was a hair under 9/32”).

Did an oil change and tire rotation this past week- also got around to steam cleaning the jambs in time for them to gunked up again this camping season. 11 months, 24.8K miles, no issues. 29.9 MPG throughout and it looks like summer blend is back...

·
Registered
13 forester 2.5 & 14 XT 4eat/ CVT
157 Posts
Paid off the xt. It will be nice not having a payment for awhile!!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

17481 - 17500 of 17517 Posts