Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

16581 - 16600 of 16608 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thought it would be fun to start a thread on everyday things we do here and there to our beloved Subarus. The weather is getting nicer, so I'm sure we will all be outside more tinkering on our cars.
(if this is a repost, please delete it)

Today has been a busy day for me! Got my Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 tires in yesterday from Tirerack for the Sti and had them mounted and balanced today by a real cool guy off of Nasioc. If anyone wants his info in the PNW PM me. He runs a legit business out of his home doing tire stuff n such, for a really good deal. But let me tell ya, these tires are STICKY!!! They pick up gravel everywhere but they are SOOOoo nice! It feels like a different car

When I got back from joyriding the STi in it's new tires, I washed the Forester (for the second time this week) and finally got around to hand waxing it. Looks pretty, but boy is there a lot of bumps and bruises on it!

What did you guys do to the subarus today?? :biggrin:
Put the new license plates on my new Forester.

·
Registered
2013 F-XT 4eat
1,329 Posts
200 mile day trip to San Diego n back to install Christmas lights onto the parental units house...
24.6 going down.
24.3 coming back up.

Cannot complain at all.

·
Registered
2019 Convenience / EyeSight CVT
40 Posts
I had the roof & spoiler vinyl wrapped in glossy black.
New winter alloy rims-tires installed and full chassis rustproofing done.

·
Registered
09 (SH) Premium X, 03 (SG) 2.5XS
19 Posts
Finally getting my Forester painted after the deer strike! New headlight assembly, new fender, new/used driver's side door thank you Condor Collision in Northern Kentucky!
597158074.jpg

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5X Automatic
17 Posts
Well friends, I'm not an active member here -- rarely post when I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my '07 Forester -- but I figured y'all would understand. Looks like it's the end of the road for my beautiful Foz. 12 years. 155k miles all over the U.S. and Canada. Some really amazing road trips + several cross-country moves. I've slept inside more than a couple times. She made it back from a few wrecks (none my fault!) and smooshes (okay, yes, one was my fault!), and now it looks like she's died of neglect. Serves me right for relying on the oil change shop to maintain fluids and not checking them regularly myself. Seems at some point since I last checked myself (maybe 6 months ago? Could be a year, to be honest), I leaked all my ATF without ever noticing anything at all (I park in the same place everyday at home and at work and never saw anything on the ground). After the oil change today, shop reported that my car wouldn't shift gears. We checked the transmission fluid, and it's empty. They added more, but no luck. Guessing it already tore itself up without a peep (or it was so gradual that I never noticed any change). Ol' girl got me to a safe place before she gave out.

Will hear from the mechanic for sure tomorrow, but it looks like a glorious chapter is ending. I'm tremendously sad. First car I ever bought; had about 30 miles on her when I took her home. Only ever had 3 relatively minor issues. Could have lasted another 100k miles if I'd taken better care of her.

I'm heartbroken already. I'm definitely going to cry in front of the guys I work with tomorrow when the mechanic calls.

·
Registered
2013 forester 2.5 & XT 4eat and CVT
132 Posts
I agree with Foresterbill. Seems for convient that right after an oil change it broke. Especially if you didnt notice any issues prior to this. My guess is a new tech drained the incorrect fluid. Then probally over filled the oil.

Id definitely question that.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5X Automatic
17 Posts
The thought did cross my mind and after today it seems even more likely that this is the truth. Shop called at lunch and said they did a transmission flush, replaced the filter, replaced the fluid, and looked for but found no leaks. Shifting and driving fine and ready to be picked up. Then told me I owed nothing, not even for the oil change.... Said they wanted to take care of me because I was the last customer last night and they hadn't been able to figure it out before closing. Described the whole thing as "a mystery."

I mean, if that isn't the most suspicious thing, the next part is: When I pick it up, a different guy says something about spark plugs, takes a look at my astonished face, and says, "or maybe not", then asks me how much I owe. Guess the guy who called me didnt bother to update the service record. I told him who I talked to and what he said, so he zeroes everything out without batting an eye, prints out the paperwork, hands me my keys and thanks me for coming in. Meanwhile the tech who did the oil change walks in the room, looks up at me, turns and walks out again. The whole time I'm thinking, let's just get out of here and see if we make it home.

At home, the paperwork looks like they changed the oil and filter twice, the receipt says spark plugs but the write-up doesn't. The writeup says I hardly had any oil (in addition to no ATF; it was stated separately), but the tech last night said my oil level was normal. And I have checked my oil more recently than my ATF (yes, I'll be checking both now more frequently!).

Car has a bit of a whine as I accelerate, though I had noticed that a couple times earlier in the week, which is why I decided to go ahead and get the oil changed. Drives/handles fine, so we'll see how the next few days go. I'll call my preferred mechanic tomorrow to see about another diagnostic when I'm off next week; he specializes in transmissions, and he won't pull punches if he thinks it's time to scrap it. The big concern (beside my transmission going out while driving) is that I was about to get the cat converter swapped out in order to pass my emissions test (due this month), but I'd hate to waste the money if the transmission is going out.

Really want to drive my Foz a couple more years, but it feels like signs are pointing more toward this being a last hurrah rather than a revival. Anyway, appreciate anyone reading all this and those who voiced what I was hesitant to say. Don't want to hijack this thread with a maintenance discussion though! I'll see what the independent mechanic says and then maybe my next post will be, "Today I got my cat converter replaced" or "Today I bought a new Subaru!'

TL;DR: Foz is still alive and now driveable again, but I'm going to get a second opinion on her long-term prognosis. Prefer to keep her, but may have to accept that her time has come after all. Looking at potential replacement options, both Subaru and other, if it comes to it.

16581 - 16600 of 16608 Posts