Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1261 - 1280 of 18465 Posts

· Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,808 Posts
Wondered why every time I open the door I'm greeted with the smell of fuel.

I tried a piece of tubing first. Helped but didn't fix.

I used the method with large pliers to carefully pinch the gussets back together. I think I found it searching here? Works great!

I used channel lock style pliers with very long handles. The long handles made it easier to control the force (versus normal pliers or vise-grips). It is very easy for the pliers to slip and pull the rubber loose from the metal underneath, but I managed to do both sides with only 1 small tear easily touched up with black RTV. You have to kind of push in on the gusset at the same time you are squeezing the handles together. No disassembly and no parts to buy! great.
And realized that 3/8" tubing is useless because it's too big and pushes my windows out considerably. I guess 2/8" tubing maybe?

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
54 Posts
I have off this week, so what I've done so far involves finishing mucking about with some parts with strange names (like that VF43 thing, for instance). Started last week with this:

And somehow it turned into this: :biggrin:

Have to go drive some more tonight, reset the ECU again after the Walbro went in this afternoon so now it has to do some learnin' again. Then later this week do the last log to send back to Clark, tuning should be good until Rich finishes his one-and-only for a long time 3" Whisper Axleback for me in a couple weeks! Can't wait! :bananapartyhat: I'm going to post the whole project later, needless to say it's been tiring!

Talk to you guys soon.....Chris

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
54 Posts
Tried to fix my window noise with with tubing, didn't help much must be wind because of the gussets. Atleast this time I put the tubing in the right place.
Hi Danoeltico, hope the tubing works for you. On my 04 I tried everything, then gave up and had them put new gussets in. OMG. Could not believe it was the same car! If I would have known what a difference it made I would have just bit the bullet right on and done it. But I did get to discover that an ancient Ministry CD can get up enough volume to drown out the wind noise....:icon_wink:

· Registered
2007 Audi S4 Avant 6 spd Triptronic
883 Posts
I actually drove the Forester. Since I got my 240sx, I rarely drive the Foz. It was so nice to have some real power. Although I will admit, with a SR20 swap...the 240 could be more fun.

· Registered
2012 Golf TDI DSG
11 Posts
Put my brand new 18s on :woohoo:

Getting my exhaust prepped for Stage 2!

Got my Perrin DP, dual Magnaflows, and custom tips waiting in a line begging to be put on :shake:

· Registered
2009 Forester 2.5XL AT
206 Posts
Took Red out for a spin off road in the NJ Pine Barrens.
Caranza Memorial to Basto for those who know.
First time off road since I bought it in Oct. of 2008.
It handled well, slightly loose in the rear while cornering at speed, but that's to be expected.
Had some fun! Need to do it some more.

· Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,998 Posts
I TRIED to open up the PIAA lights I have in the front with H4 bulbs in to change them. No such luck. I don't have a clue how I get them opened up. :shrug:

· Registered
2007 Forester 2.5 X Prem 5MT
435 Posts
Put in 4 new NGK Laser Plus plugs, removed the "snorkus" (again), cleaned the battery terminals and lubed them up with some dialectric grease, and I'm halfway through a rear diff fluid change. I drained it just fine, now I cant get the fill plug out :-X

Sat in the driveway and revved it for a while though :). I really like how it sounds without the snorkus, I just dont like the loss of torque...

Spark plug change was pretty easy by the way. If you are on the fence about it, give it a shot. Just take your time and remove anything in your way before you start.

1261 - 1280 of 18465 Posts