Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,411 Posts
I filled my tire up that goes low every other day.
That indicates an unusual problem. However, out of any set of 4 tires, there always seems to be one tire that loses air significantly faster than the other three. At least that's been my experience with every set of tires I've owned.

· Registered
2,411 Posts
No grime came out, just black fluid (which wasn't burnt either, smelled better than the new stuff even)
It was probably just old fluid past it's functional lifespan. Had the exact same thing happen on an automatic Toyota Tacoma, especially the fluid directly from the torque converter. The vehicle still drove OK, but the fluid that came out was obviously not fresh. Didn't do any damage.

· Registered
2,411 Posts
I've put 972 miles on it since last Saturday and I'm about half way through the traveling. Gas mileage is right at 29mpg so far. One tank was solidly over 30mpg. :woohoo:

· Registered
2,411 Posts
Finished trip today (see post #930 in this thread). Got a bad case of highway hypnosis (or travel 'duhs', more likely not enough coffee) this morning and put 89 octane gas in instead of 87 octane (just over 9 gallons). Didn't seem to impact performance.

Now it's due for the 30,000 mile service.

The Forester is really a fun vehicle to travel in. :biggrin:

· Registered
2,411 Posts
Vacuumed the interior and washed the exterior. Will (hopefully) finish tomorrow with polishing/detailing the exterior and cleaning the interior.

Loving the near 80 temps in February.

· Registered
2,411 Posts
I looked out the office window at it and admired how the rain rinsed the salty white colouring off it this morning.
Tonight there should be rain washing yellow pollen off of my Forester...

...and off of everything else. Happy Allergy Season everyone! :puke:

· Registered
2,411 Posts
ripped out the hill holder clutch setup because it sucks when it breaks and doesnt let you go without fighting the brakes like crazy
How did you do this? The hill holder feature (according to every Subaru mechanic I've talked to and a question I sent to SOA back in 2004) is a built-in part of the braking system. Can't disable hill-holder without effectively disabling the brakes. Maybe the system has changed since the 2004 model?

· Registered
2,411 Posts
Finally found replacement bolts for the factory crossbars. (Original bolts rusted out. :huh: ) Now I can safely reinstall the crossbars and get a cargo basket.

· Registered
2,411 Posts
Thought about replacing the burnt out driver's side low beam.

Does it just look like a pain in the ***, or is it?
The high/low beam bulb can be changed without removing the whole headlight housing. No tools required. It's a good idea to wear gloves when handling the halogen bulbs and to protect the back of your hand since it can be a tight fit accessing the back of the headlamps. If you have big hands you might want to see if someone with small hands can be available to help, just in case. The first time I changed the bulbs I needed a lot of patience. The rest of the changes have been quick.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts